By the mid- 1944 it became quite clear that the available resources of the Red Army against the modern German tanks obviously not enough. It was necessary to gain high quality armored forces. Tried to solve this issue by using ACS 100-mm gun with ballistics naval gun B-34. Preliminary design of the machine in December 1943, was presented to the People's Commissariat tank industry, and already 27 December 1943 GKO decided to adoption of a modern middle ACS, armed 100-mm cannon. The venue for the latest self-propelled gun was designated "Uralmashplant."
Development time were set very tight, but having received drawings of guns C-34, the factory made sure that the gun is not suitable for automatic control: it has a very impressive size, but when you hover on the left rests on the second suspension, not allowing the position to former place hatch driver. In order to establish this for self-propelled gun, demanded stern configuration of its design, including its sealed enclosure. All this attracted a change in the production lines, the displacement of the driver and the control on the 100 mm. to the left and change the suspension. Weight ACS could increase by 3.5 tons compared with the SU-85.
In order to cope with the emerging problem of "Uralmashplant" appealed for help to the plant number 9, in which at the end of February 1944 under the control of the designer of FF Petrov was created a 100-mm gun D-10C, designed for sea-based anti-aircraft gun B-34. Made gun had the smallest mass versus C-34 and the free installed as standard self-propelled body without any significant growth in the stock configuration and the car. Already 3 March 1944 the first model of the modern self-propelled guns, armed with a new weapon D-10S, was sent to undergo industrial tests.
The performance characteristics of the modern self-propelled guns SU-100 enabled it to successfully fight the modern German tanks at a distance of 1500 meters for the "Tigers" and "Panthers" regardless of the point of incidence of the projectile. SAU "Ferdinand" could be hit with a distance of 2000 meters, but only if it enters the side armor. SU-100 has the exclusive for Russian armored firepower. Its armor-piercing shell at a distance of 2000 meters punched 125 mm. vertical armor, and at a distance of 1000 meters past the majority of German armored vehicles actually through.
SPG SU-100 has been designed on the basis of units of the T-34-85 and SU-85 self-propelled guns. All major components of the tank — the chassis, the gearbox, the engine was used without changes. Thickness of head-chopping reservation was increased in virtually doubled (from 45 mm for the SU-85 to 75 mm for the SU-100). The growth in aggregate reservation with increasing mass guns led to the suspension of front rollers came overloaded. Tried to solve the problem of increasing the diameter of the wire springs from 30 to 34 mm., But absolutely remove it and failed. This dilemma was reflected constructive legacy backward suspension tank Christie.
Housing self-propelled guns taken from the SU-85, underwent Though small in number, but very fundamental changes. In addition to the growth of the frontal armor appeared on the ACS commander's cupola with inspection devices MK-IV (a copy of the English). Also in the car were installed 2 fans for the best cleaning crew compartment from the powder gases. Overall, 72% of the parts were taken from the middle of the T-34, 7.5% from SPG SU-85, 4% of SPG SU-122, and 16.5% were designed anew.
SPG SU-100 had a traditional Russian self-propelled assembly. The fighting compartment, which was combined with the separation of management, was in the front part of the body, in a completely armored conning tower. Here were placed controls mechanisms ACS, the main armament complex with iron sights, ammunition guns tankoperegovornoe unit (TPU-3-Bispham), radio (9RS or 9RM). Immediately placed nasal fuel tanks and some useful tools and spare accessories (spare parts).
Ahead in the left corner of the cabin was the workplace of the driver, in front of which a front hull had a rectangular flap. The cover flap it had been installed two prismatic observation devices. Right from the gun was located commander's machine. Immediately behind the driver's seat was the gunner seat, and in the left rear corner of the conning tower — loader. In the roof of the cabin were two rectangular flap for boarding / landing crew motionless cupola and 2 fans under the caps. Cupola was 5 viewing slits with bulletproof glasses, periscope vision devices MK-IV were in the commander's turret hatch cover and the left door gunner's hatch cover.
The engine compartment is just behind the battle, separated by a special barrier. In the middle of the MTO to sub-frame has been mounted diesel engine V-2-34, has an output of 520 hp With this engine, SAU weighing 31.6 tons could accelerate on the highway to 50 km / h Engine compartment was located in the rear of the hull self-propelled guns, here are the main and steering clutches with brakes, 5-speed, 2 the oil bath air cleaner and 2 fuel tanks. Capacity internal fuel tanks, self-propelled guns SU-100 of 400 liters., This amount of fuel was rather to make the 310-km march along the highway.
The main armament was a self-propelled 100-mm rifled gun D-10S arr. 1944. The length of the gun barrel was equal to 56 gauges (5608 mm). The initial velocity armor-piercing projectile was 897 m / s and the highest muzzle energy — 6.36 MJ. The gun was equipped with an automatic horizontal breech, and mechanical and electrical descent. To ensure the smooth pickup vertically gun equipped with a compensating mechanism such as spring. Recoil device consisted of a hydropneumatic recuperator and a hydraulic recoil brakes that were placed over the gun barrel on the right and left, respectively. Gross weight guns and rolls back of the device is 1435 kg. Ammunition SPG SU-100 included the 33 unitary firing armor-piercing tracer projectile BR-412 and high-explosive RP-412.
The gun was set in the front plate cutting in a special die-cast frame on double trunnion. Pointing angles in the vertical plane lying in the range from 3 to 20 degrees, 16 degrees horizontal (8 in each direction). Aiming the gun at the target was carried out using 2-hand-held device — a rotary mechanism of the helical type and sector type hoist. When firing from the closed position to pointing guns used by Hertz and side view of the level at direct fire spotter used articulated telescopic sight TSH-19, who had a 4-fold increase and a field of view of 16 degrees. Techno rate instruments was 4-6 rounds per minute.
SPG SU-100 began to enter the army in November 1944. In December 1944, the troops started to form 3 separate self-propelled artillery brigades RGVK, each of which consisted of three regiments of armed self-propelled guns SU-100. The staff team comprised 65 self-propelled guns SU-100, 3 SPG SU-76 and the average of 1492 people. Brigade, get a room 207-I Leningrad, 208th Dvina and 209th, were made on the basis of the existing separate tank brigades. First, in February 1945 all formed teams were given directions.
So Makar, brigades and regiments, armed with self-propelled guns SU-100, took part in the final battles of the war Russian stateliness, as in the defeat of the Japanese Kwantung Army. The inclusion in the upcoming mobile data group ACS significantly increased their striking power. Often, the SU-100 were used in the completion of a breakthrough tactical depth defense Germans. Temper fight for all that was similar to the coming of the enemy rushed to prepare for the defense. Preparing coming occupies a limited time or not done at all.
In general, self-propelled guns SU-100 had the opportunity not only to advance. In March 1945, they took part in defensive battles at Lake Balaton. Here in the troops of the 3rd Ukrainian Front from 6 to 16 March, they took part in repelling a counterattack 6 SS Panzer Army. All three formed in December 1944, the brigade, the armed SU-100 are brought to reflect the counter-attack, also used in the defense of individual self-propelled artillery regiments, armed with self-propelled guns SU-85 and SU-100.
In the fighting from 11 to 12 March ACS data is often used as tanks, armored vehicles because of huge losses. Because at the front were ordered to equip all ACS machine guns for the best self-defense. As a result of the March of defensive battles in Hungary SU-100 has earned us wants to relax evaluation Russian command.
Without a doubt, SPG SU-100 was the most successful and powerful Russian tank destroyer period majestically Russian war. SU-100 was 15 tons lighter and for all that was comparable to the best armor protection and mobility in comparison with the similar to her German Tank Destroyers "Yagdpantera." With all of this German self-propelled guns, armed with 88-mm cannon German Cancer 43/3, surpassed by the Soviet armor penetration and largest combat pack. Gun "Yagdpantery" through the introduction of more massive projectile PzGr 39/43 with the ballistic tip has the best armor penetration at large distances. A similar Russian missile BR-412D was developed in the Soviet Union until after the war. In contrast to the German Tank Destroyers ammunition in the SU-100 was not cumulative and sub-caliber ammunition. With all this high-explosive action of the 100-mm projectile was naturally higher than that of the German self-propelled guns. Overall, both the best medium tank destroyer second world had in front of him some outstanding advantages, though the ability to implement the SU-100 was somewhat more extensive.
Tactical and technical characteristics: SU-100
Weight: 31.6 tons
Length 9.45 m, width 3.0 m, height 2.24 m
Crew: 4 persons.
Reservation: 20 to 75 mm.
Armament: 100mm tool A-10S
Ammunition: 33 shells
Engine: V-shaped twelve-diesel engine V-2-34 capacity of 520 hp
The highest speed: on the highway — 50 km / h
Progress in store: on the highway — 310 km.