Inca roads that survived the Spanish

July 19, 2012 20:53

Peruvian archaeologists have discovered chetyrehkilometrovy stretch of road leading to Machu Picchu. He goes along with the familiar main road. Land diverted from it in a place Chakikkocha (Chaquiccocha). Level Inca technology is amazing: it's retaining walls, and drainage channels, and bridge, and a long staircase, and even a ten-meter tunnel.

Inca roads that survived the Spanish

The newly discovered site of the ancient road is at an altitude of 3600 meters above sea level. According to the news agency Agencia Andina, landscaped road to high technology of the time. In particular, it has retaining walls 10 meters high, drainage canals, terraces, five-meter bridge on pillars and carved into the rock ten-meter tunnel with a 28-step staircase.

As noted by a local archaeologist Oscar Montufar La Torre (Oscar Montufar La Torre), since the construction of the road it's been five centuries, but it remained at 70 percent. The remaining 30 percent have ruined landslides and lush vegetation. The presence of such a road, according to him, proves the existence of a developed network of communications necessary for military and administrative purposes.

Director of the Archaeological Park of Machu Picchu Fernando Astete Victoria (Fernando Astete Victoria) reported that management of the park is going to get permission to clear the road from the plant, and in the case of even the most valuable plants to transplant, after which the study will continue.

According to the authoritative opinion of Peruvian professionals, road shows that for thousands of years Indian civilizations of South America were very neat road-building. Discovery will facilitate the revival of the project, which in Quechua called Qhapaq Nan — «The Great Road" or "Way of the Lord", and in Spanish — "The Road of the Incas» — camino inca.

"The Road of the Incas" — UNESCO World Heritage Site — 15 passes through ecosystems in South America, home to critically endangered species, there are archaeological settlement of Cuzco in Peru, the ruins of Ingapirca in Ecuador, Tiwanaku in Bolivia and Quilmes in Argentina.

Currently Khapak-Nyan is a network of many stone-paved roads laid on the coastal plains in the desert, in the mountains, over rocks and gorges, with hanging bridges and stairs. The longest of the road passes over the tops of the Andes through six modern countries: Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina and Chile. The second way is held in parallel to the ocean coast.

During the reign of the Incas on these roads except rulers moved the special messengers, couriers Chaski (Chaski or Chasqui), who travel great distances at a run, passing from hand to hand, as in sports relays, the message. On their approach, they provide notice horn sounds from sea shells to have time to prepare the next runner. Speed and endurance Chaski hit Spaniards. According to legend, the table of the emperor in the imperial capital of Cuzco, located in the mountains at an altitude of more than 3.5 meters for hundreds of thousands of kilometers of coastline, brought fresh fish from the Pacific Ocean in less than 24 hours.

An extensive network of roads, including the main and workarounds were more than 30,000 kilometers. Construction work stopped in the XVI century, after the arrival of the Spanish conquistadors, who, ironically, used these communications to conquer the Inca Empire. Not owned indigenous technologies European conquerors later did not support these roads in good condition.

One of the best known today is the Inca road in Peru. It starts on the banks of the Rio Urubamba (Rio Urubamba) and leads to the Inca city of Machu Picchu. The road of the Incas was found in the Swedish expedition in 1942, for many years after that it was cleared.

Are the four main roads running through the cross (centered in the city of Cusco), the empire of the Incas. Roads connect all provincial capitals of each output several ways. On every road through a well-defined distances were inns, distance themselves marked by boundary pillars and called topology or Tupou.

The most famous Inca Trail passes through the mountains parallel to the valley of the Urubamba River. Travel on it lasts about four days. The road is covered with snow through three mountain passes and ravines, covered with tropical vegetation.

Igor Booker

Like this post? Please share to your friends: