Overcrowded hospitals northwestern Iran helped several thousand people after two powerful earthquakes that took place on 11 August 2012. About 300 people died in the disaster.
Was recorded about 60 small earthquakes that caused panic among the population. As a result, thousands of people spent the night in tents or on the streets for fear of repeated powerful earthquakes.
It is believed that the greatest losses and major damage occurred in the villages around the towns of Ahar, Varzagan and Aris, and near the major city of Tabriz. Many houses are completely destroyed. Search operations were completed on Sunday, and is reported to the Iranian authorities, all the dead and the survivors managed to extract from the ruins.
Hospital Tabriz, Ardabil and other cities provide all possible assistance to the victims. Hundreds of wounded are still standing in line to receive medical care. It is also reported that the residents of some of the most remote villages are still in need of food and drinking water. Despite official statements by the authorities, hundreds of people left homeless are still not allocated tents. This can lead to an increase in the number of casualties among the rural population.
According to the U.S. Geological Survey by the first earthquake was 6.4, with its epicenter 60 kilometers north-east of Tabriz — the shopping center, which is located far away from the oil-producing regions and nuclear facilities. The second 6.3 quake occurred 11 minutes later, at 49 kilometers from Tabriz, near Varzagana.
It is believed that as a result of two earthquakes hit about a thousand villages, 130 of which were destroyed by 70%, and 20 — in full. Since the accident occurred in the afternoon, many people are not home. An earthquake at night, the number of victims would have increased exponentially.
As a result of Saturday's event about 5000 people were injured, and 300 died. More than 36,000 people in the affected regions have received temporary shelter. Red Cross received about 44 thousand food kits and 5,600 tents. Most of the affected regions had access to drinking water.
1) The Iranian woman next to his injured child outside the hospital in Ahar, located 60 kilometers from Tabriz.
2) destroyed house after an earthquake in Varzagane August 11, 2012. Earthquake due to the location of Iran's seismic fault lines. A daily average of one earthquake is recorded.
3) The bodies of the victims of the earthquake in the hospital morgue Ahara. Two major earthquakes that followed one after another, have killed about 300 people of Iran.
4) The injured woman lies on a stretcher in a street Varzagana.
5) The wounded resident Varzagana provide care in the street outside the hospital.
6) The medical aid to the victims of the earthquake in Ahar.
7) Residents Varzagana help victims.
9) The wounded people lying on the ground outside a hospital in Ahar.
10) Residents Varzagana sitting on the sidewalk after the earthquake.
11) The wounded people lying on the ground outside a hospital in Ahar.
12) Destroyed houses after earthquakes in Varzagane.
13) Rescue teams carry out searches Varzagana pogobshih.
14) The doorway to the ruins of a house.
15) Destroyed houses in a town.