Zimno — Church of the monastery …

 

While hunting ground of the prince,  

He monks settled here.     

Baptizing all of Russia — it is winter time will not forget.        

And in centuries gone his case,       

But the memory of the Baptist alive …

 

 

If you want to build a ship, do not pick up people to bring wood, and assign tasks, and better awaken in them a longing for the endless sea gave …

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

 

 

Zimnensky Church of the Assumption Convent — Stauropegic Ukrainian Orthodox Church monastery located in the hills above the river Saints Meadows (Meadow) near the village of Winter and a few kilometers from the city of Vladimir-Volyn, Volyn region, Ukraine.

While hunting ground of the prince,  

He monks settled here.     

Baptizing all of Russia — it is winter time will not forget.        

And in centuries gone his case,       

But the memory of the Baptist alive …

 

 

If you want to build a ship, do not pick up people to bring wood, and assign tasks, and better awaken in them a longing for the endless sea gave …

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

 

 

Zimnensky Church of the Assumption Convent — Stauropegic Ukrainian Orthodox Church monastery located in the hills above the river Saints Meadows (Meadow) near the village of Winter and a few kilometers from the city of Vladimir-Volyn, Volyn region, Ukraine.

 

Winter — with. Volyn province., A 5-in. from the city of Vladimir-Volyn. Church located there, according to legend was built St. Vladimir., but reworked in the late XVI and early XVII century., in 1892 turned into a nunnery. The remains of towers attributable to the time of Prince Vladimir. Winter residence of the Dukes of Volhynia from XI century — is not only temples and cell, and a labyrinth of caves with cave church of baptism period of Volyn.

DVolyn is jealous of the land, as we know, was on the trade route "from the Varangians to the Greeks", therefore, from the Byzantine Empire and the Chersonese merchants came here, and with them the Christian missionaries who were there the first preachers of the Christian faith. Officially, Christianity brought to Volyn Rus educator St.. Equal to the Apostles. Prince. Vladimir, after whom the city was renamed Lyudomiriya to Vladimir-Volyn.

 

Perhaps the main advantage of the typical landscape of Volyn — that, in contrast to many other parts of the fatherland, the scope of the tourist season, it is not so tough: colorful, like a fairy tale, Volyn forests are equally good in both summer and winter.

An unusually beautiful place is Zimnensky convent. The place chosen for the monastery of the prince himself, he would often come to these places to hunt. Wonderful place with marvelous nature, which is full of history, and looking from the height of the mountain on which the monastery — one wants to touch the holy land and ancestral shrines …
 

The silence here is special, no fuss and quiet. This is especially felt in the morning when the sun comes out at the bottom of the slow flowing water of the river meadows, tributaries of the Western Bug, which is spread over the blue-gray haze. Cool air that seems possible to suffocate and birds singing, here they sing in a special way … The people here are special: easy to communicate, but sensible. Kindness and hospitality knows no bounds …

This monastery founded the Baptist Old Rus Prince Volodymyr shortly after his baptism. From the annals known that in 987, during the conquest of Korsun, the Grand Duke went blind. In 988, Princess Anne, the future wife of Prince Vladimir, brought the blessing of Patriarch Tsaregradskiy on her marriage with Prince icon of the Mother of God Greek letters.

 

The legend also tells that Prince Vladimir in baptism in the font Hersonissos saw a strong and unusual glow on the icons, and received his sight. In 1001, at the behest of Prince Vladimir was built the first wooden churches on the holy mountain in the village of Winter (Western residence of Vladimir), and in 1006 at the dedication of the prince here Monastery gave his family icon of the Mother of God.

Many pilgrims come to this monastery, carry children, relatives, friends … Assuming that the icon helps those who have vision problems. Icon became the patroness of the Holy Mountain, where he is located. The small village of Zimno takes tens of thousands of pilgrims not only from our country but also abroad. People truly believe that the image of the miraculous icon of the Mother of God stored in Svyatogorsky Zimnensky Holy Dormition Monastery, brings peace and harmony in the family, helps women with infertility, can heal from cancer and eye diseases.

The cases of the healing miracle-working icon passed from mouth to mouth. So, Zimnensky novices willing to talk, as in the thousand-year anniversary of the monastery in 2001, arrived here a woman whose mother had long been confined to bed. Daughter continued praying near the icons, asked for healing — and the patient stood still on his feet

See the light at the temple, you can use the icons and the efforts of Certified doctors. It employs ophthalmological center, where professors from Kiev examine and treat bolnyh.Tak that parishioners may choose at its sole discretion, make an appointment with a certified ophthalmologists or to hope for an epiphany, to venerate the miraculous icon. However, most in need of help do something, and more.

 

One of the legends about Zimnensky is such an icon. In 1724, the village purchased Zimno devout Catholic, Volyn mayor Michael Chatsky. He ordered the church to convert to the church, the five domes leave two, seized all the wealth of the church, destroyed the tomb, took the jewels from the dead, took jewelry with Zimnensky icons. Mocking way, he cried out, "What the Orthodox sanctuary miraculous, and you could not save his Orthodox monastery!". After these words the wicked blind, and three years later he died. Kara was struck by the whole race Chatsky — his heirs male, three years before the death of losing eyesight.

Church of the Monastery belongs to the type of defense monasteries, which became widespread in the lands of Moscow Russia, Ukraine, Belarus in the late Middle Ages. Located on a natural promontory on the north and west ends abruptly to the valley of the River Meadows, occupies a prime position in the defense against.

Church of the Monastery belongs to the type of defense monasteries, which became widespread in the lands of Moscow Russia, Ukraine, Belarus in the late Middle Ages. Located on a natural promontory on the north and west ends abruptly to the valley of the River Meadows, occupies a prime position in the defense against.

The complex includes: Church of the Assumption, sites of defensive walls with five gates and three corner towers, gate tower — bell tower on the south, the refectory with the church.

To the north of the plateau on which are located the main building, there is a small-sized Trinity Church, next to her in the side of a hill — the entrance to the caves with underground Varlaamovskoy church.

 

Proiskhodzhenie monastery was lost in the dark ages, but according to the ancient monastery founded his paraphrases of Grand Duke Vladimir Svyatoslavovych in the early years of Christianity in Russia (11th century, probably in 1001), who built a church here two and a winter palace (tower), in whose honor and named village. About the monastery called the "Holy Mountain" was first mentioned chronicle of Nestor the Chronicler end of the 11th century. It is also said that the first abbot of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra Barlaam died here on the way from Constantinople (Constantinople) in Kiev.

 

Like almost all the ancient monasteries in Russia, this monastery was raised from the caves. In the documentary written sources monastery was first mentioned in 1458. Until 1698 it belonged to the Greek Orthodox denomination, and then — to the Greek-Catholic. In 1857, the monastery cathedral went into the possession of the Russian Orthodox Church. During the reign of the Union Zimnensky monastery gradually fell into disrepair and in XVIII century was closed. In 1893 opened a convent. Under the main church at a depth of 10 yards are ancient caves, like Kiev.

 

During the Soviet Union, the reunification of Volyn land with Ukraine in 1939, the monastery was closed. In 1990 the monastery was reopened.

 

The appearance of the monastery from the 11th century. First mentioned in writing in 1458g. Since 1460 gg.vedetsya construction of stone houses, churches are being built defensive walls with towers. Later in all four defensive walls constructed arched gate .. Significant work on the reconstruction and construction of buildings held in 1899, the project architect. N.P.Kozlova. Rebuilt bell tower, Church of the Assumption, built a school and Varlaamovskaya underground church.

 

State monuments deteriorated during World War II. The restoration of the monument held since 1975 Church of the Assumption with caves, 1495, 1550. In 1724, the building was acquired appearance, similar to the Catholic church: dismantled two towers to the east, the west erected with attic gable. Reconstruction of the building made by the project architect. N.P.Kozlova in 1898 — 1900 years. Damage caused by the building and the underground church during the First World War, eliminated in the 1930s.

 

During the Great Patriotic War were destroyed and the completion of the roof (1943). To the north of the church at the foot of earthen terraces in the thickness of the retaining wall is in the form of an arched gallery entrance to the caves, deep in which the on-site chapel close tripled Varlaamovskaya church — a small rectangular room, covered by a dome with a square vent.

 

Defensive walls and towers, 15 — 16 centuries. The plan has the shape of an irregular quadrangle, which were placed at the corners of the tower. The south wall also includes a travel tower — bell tower and a round tower in the plan. On top of the parapet wall was with the loopholes, combat course, obviously, was arranged on the beams, shallow wound up in the masonry walls, and drew from the yard on wooden poles, having at the top of the wood flooring. In the 17th century. arranged broad arched gate in all four defensive walls. By 1898 — 99 years. Tower — the bell tower was rebuilt in pseudo-Russian style.

 

In the late 19th early 20th centuries. in the construction of two storey school building demolished south-west tower and curtain wall between it and the bell tower. Remained significant sections of walls with wide arched gate, angle square in plan of the tower on the first tier, the tower — bell tower without overlap and completion.

 

Trinity Church, 1465 — 1475 years. Is outside the cloister, to the north of the Assumption Church. One of the two churches, a monastery, and from the late 18th century. was used as a chapel. During the repair of 1860 — 1868 years. and in 1876 made no very significant changes to the appearance. Damage caused by the monument during World War II, fixed in 1950.
 

 

 

                        

The monastery is located 5 km away. from the city of Vladimir-Volyn. During the war, the German artileristy fun, shooting cannons at the monastery. The most interesting is that the shells zastryavali in the walls of the monastery, but not torn. Dosih walls are visible in the German shells as direct witnesses of history …

 

 
The monastery is almost 100% self-sufficiency. A lot of money invested in the restoration of the monastery Medvedchuk.

Now, in the monastery are 40 nuns. Thanks to a well-developed economy (the golden-shop,
a bakery, a butchery, a large orchard)

here to help the needy: pensioners, large families, unemployed allocate food, organize charity dinners. The monastery educating children from disadvantaged families who operates a camp for orphans.

At the foot of the mountain on which the Holy Dormition Monastery Zimnensky is a source of St. Barlaam Caves.

 

It is said that in 1065 the first abbot of the Kiev-Pechersk monastery was returning from Jerusalem and Constantinople through Volyn. Deciding to rest in a local monastery Barlaam dug a well, which he himself had consecrated. Since then, the holy water helps those who come here with faith.

The path to the source of an easy — you need a long time to go down the steep slope.

 

But very much like to drink the healing water and wash it. At the bottom, near the source, it was possible to see not only the elderly but also young people. Pilgrims pulled together from the bottom of the well with a bucket of water, typed, and then cast it to everyone, trying not to spill a single drop to the ground.

 

To hear Ukrainian, Russian, Polish, English speech. All these people are so different, come here for healing not only physical but also spiritual. And they genuinely believe that it will find in the small village of the Winter Palace.

 

Zimnensky caves are very similar to the Kiev Caves Monastery. They say that before there was a network of caves (the rider on the horse could gallop underground maze), an underground passage led to each tower, and the "branches" have reached even in the direction of Vladimir-Volyn and Kiev.

 

Today we have managed to recover only a small portion of the caves. All the bones and skulls of the first monks of the monastery cleaned and buried in open niches in the walls of the cave. During the archaeological excavations of ancient inscriptions are found, confirming the existence of the underground church in the pre-Mongol period.

  

Very often in the monastery is on a visit of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Vladimir.V first two days of his visit, Archbishop visited Vladimir-Volyn diocese, where he first visited the Holy Assumption Svyatogorsky Zimnensky Stavropigialny monastery (village of the Winter Volyn region).

 

 

 

 

 

Like this post? Please share to your friends: