To mark the disbandment of the Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force and the establishment of the Government Flying Service, the unit took delivery of two Black Hawk helicopters.
AS 1997 LOOMS ever closer, the United Kingdom continues to implement gradual changes in the running of Hong Kong.
Many of the historic colonial services will disappear with a change from royal warranted to civilian organisations. One such unit was the Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force (RHKAAF), which dates back to 1949, and was disbanded on March 1, 1993, to be reformed as the Government Flying Service (GFS) on April 1.
GFS has inherited a fixed wing fleet of four Slingsby Fireflies for basic pilot training, and two Beech Super King Airs for long-range survey tasks with day and night search and rescue capability.
Its rotary wing assets comprise eight Sikorsky S-76 helicopters — five S-76A+ for police or general purposes and three S-76Cs are primarily for search and rescue equipped with forward-looking infrared (FUR).
On March 2, 1993, at the Police Tactical Unit (PTU), Franling in the New Territories, two new Sikorsky S-70A-27 Black Hawks, serialled HKG-22 and 23, joined the GFS in support of police duties. With the increase of lift capability, the Black Hawks have the capability to move half a PTU company (approximately 80 men) in two waves of deployment between any two locations within the territory. They will also provide logistical support for the Special Duties Unit (SDU) in operations against street crime and drug trafficking, they are equipped with Night Sun and FUR, as well as routine training.