In Berlin, after more than two years of renovation work restored the opening of the Russian (Soviet) military-memorial complex on November 7, 1949., The burial place of the Red Army soldiers who died during the 1945 Berlin operation. The press service of the Ministry of Defense.
The opening ceremony was attended by Russian Ambassador to Germany Vladimir Grinin, deputy head of the Russian Defense Ministry to perpetuate the memory of the fallen soldiers Valery Kudinsky, general secretary of the German People's Union for the care of war graves Rainer Ruff, a spokesman for the Berlin diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Archpriest George, about 20 veterans — veterans of the Great Patriotic War, the direct participants renovation, as well as residents of Berlin.
"Established 64 years ago by order of the Soviet Military Administration memorial in memory of people who gave their lives to provide us with peace and freedom, reopened to visitors in its former greatness and beauty," — said in a speech V.Kudinsky. He noted that "the opening of a renovated Memorial is a shining example and testimony to the obligations under the intergovernmental agreement and respect to the German authorities, located on the territory of the Soviet military graves."
On Memorial Cemetery buried 13 thousand 200 people, of which 9 855 thousand soldiers and officers who died in the spring of 1945., 120 women and 3 thousand 225 prisoners of Stalag XI / A in Altengrabove (district of Magdeburg).
The complex belongs to the three largest Soviet military memorial sites in Germany of national importance. It consists of an inlet section, which includes the input structure, decorated with a 3.5-meter high bronze bas-reliefs depicting the death and funeral of the hero, 119 mass graves with bronze plates on which the pure gold the names of the fallen heroes, as well as the main monument in the form of an obelisk square cross-section, which rises to 33 meters
All obelisk mounted on a black granite podium, in whose walls are bricked plaques with the names of senior officers. Inside the bottom of the obelisk — the mausoleum with large bronze torches at the entrance. On the obelisk assembled a group of sculptures that depicts a female figure, cover the body of a fallen soldier banner. The image of the woman symbolizes the Motherland, grieving for their fallen sons. In the center of the wall opposite the entrance, placed a small monument to the Red Guards captive, tortured in Nazi concentration camps.
Total in Germany are more than 4 million war graves of citizens of Russia and the Soviet Union died in the First and Second World Wars. International cooperation in the field of preservation of war graves determined the agreement signed between the governments of Russia and Germany on the care of war graves in the Russian Federation and the Federal Republic of Germany of 16 December 1992., On the basis of which the Russian and German parties have pledged to provide land for military burial. Maintenance work is carried out by German People's Union for the care of war graves, the Russian Embassy in Germany and the Russian Ministry of Defense representative on the organization and conduct of military-memorial work in Germany.