In the Baltic celebrate the anniversary of the westernmost lighthouse Russia

The most westerly lighthouse is an important military facility Hydrographic Service of the Baltic Fleet. Despite this, as well as 200 years ago, his caretaker is here with his family. They live in a small town majachnym and during severe storms followed, so that the light on the tower is not extinguished.

Note that for the first time saw the bright light of the lighthouse soldiers of Napoleon's army who left the German fortress Pilau January 6, 1813. In those days, the lighthouse keepers used cooking oil, and instead of optics in the tower were installed wicks, keeps the fire. Later, an oil lamp was replaced by kerosene and only at the end of the XIX century — the gas.

And exactly one hundred years ago, he started to work on electricity.
In spite of the art satellite navigation system, the Baltic lighthouse still serves as the main reference point for the ships belonging to the western sea gate.
The Museum of the Baltic fleet assembled a photo gallery dedicated to the fire main navigation in the Baltic Sea, which initially ignited by pilot wooden tower.
And later — in the stone, designed by the innovator of the European architecture of the XIX century by Karl Friedrich Schinkel. Here are collected the old documents of the lighthouse service, which carried all members of the family of the lighthouse keeper.

Baltic lighthouse was built in Pilau, this Baltiysk, at the beginning of the XIX century — 1813-1816 years. According to some assumptions, its creator — the famous architect Karl Schinkel. The height of the lighthouse is about 33 meters above sea level. Initially he worked at the expense of burning wick on vegetable oil, but a century later brought electricity to the lighthouse, and instead set the wick light bulb and complex Fresnel lens. Since the beacon light visible at a distance of 16 miles — 30 km.

During the Great Patriotic War, the Baltic lighthouse is not badly hurt. As the chief of the lighthouse Valery Bezuglov, the explosives were laid by the Germans at the base of the lighthouse, but it did not have time to blow up, "I guess, or hope to go back because they were coming here, and the people, and transport went to Germany. They needed a lighthouse to the last. "


Like this post? Please share to your friends: