The brilliant presentation at the exhibition RUSSIAN EXPO ARMS-2011 new Russian T-90ms "Tagil" has caused, including a lot of questions about those or other of its design decisions. One of the important issues related to this machine, for the protection of on-board and feed projections. The following material is placed in the book "Actual problems of protection and security," Proceedings of the Twelfth All-Russian scientific-practical conference. Volume 3. "Armoured vehicles and armament." SPB.2009g, answers some questions, explain the solutions designers UKBTM. Together with the fact we must realize that the published material has an overall faster academic in nature, and may also be subject to debate. The solutions described in this article should not be directly transferred to the construction of a certain standard of armored vehicles. Yes, T-90ms, almost all consistent with the concept described here, but also has a number of relevant configurations, aimed at more great safety and protection.
Local wars and armed conflicts of recent decades (North Caucasus, Afghanistan, Iraq) indicates that the tank forces not only did not lose their role on the modern battlefield, and in the coming term, can not be changed any weapon system.
Highest firepower and protection will use tanks during the military and counter-terrorism operations as an effective means of fire support. The tanks hold more, compared with other means of struggle, resistance to all types of guns. The highest mobility of tanks can quickly use the results of fire strikes.
In modern conditions specifically skilled use of tanks can find almost all the course and, as a consequence, the final battles and operations. In real criteria battle tank would be possible in many situations. At the current time it is clear tendency increasing displacement of the center of mass in the direction of opposition tanks and anti-tank weapons (TCP) abroad particular fire contact with the enemy, in other words, close combat. This group includes TCP light anti-tank and anti-tank hand grenade (RPG) with a range of up to 1 km, and immediately they are the most massive anti-tank gun. Armor-piercing ability of a number of combat troops RPG Russian and foreign countries, filled by single sighting devices with an effective firing range within 300 m of 300 .. .500 Mm is normal. When conducting a counter-terrorist operation, and when the breakthrough the main threat comes from the tanks to infantry units, the principal means of struggle which are hand-held anti-tank grenade launchers and light anti-tank systems.
Combat experience in counter-terrorism operations showed the possibility of effective implementation of portable anti-tank weapons, in other words, antitank grenades and light anti-tank systems. In the conduct of military operations in urban criteria in the mountainous and wooded terrain changes character bronetsel hits, including a tank, in other words, most of the lesions have not a frontal projection, more secure, and the board and feed the projection of both the body and the tower tank.
In this regard, the assessment of the vulnerability of the T-90, made by JSC "UKBTM", taking into account the data on the penetration of the TCP in different criteria fighting and diagrams probabilities indicates that some of the more insecure TCP are different types of anti-tank and RPG and a topical task at this stage is protection board and feed projections of the T-90, the defense of which previously received insufficient attention.
Designated task can be solved by installing on-board projection of the hull and turret additional blocks with elements dynamic protection, fodder same projection advisable to protect the latticed screens. Fig. 1 shows the appearance of the T-90, the equipped modular protivokummulyativnoy protected the hull and turret.
To increase the security of the tank spices of "UKBTM" offered follow-up.
1. On the sides of the tower is installed on the three blocks of dynamic protection on each side. The units are designed like a block of explosive reactive armor designed JSC "Research Institute of Steel" for light armored vehicles. Blocks represent a container with explosive reactive armor set, broken layers of filler. Units are constantly, but loaded with explosive reactive armor only when the tanks as intended, in other words on the eve of hostilities.
2. On the fender to protect the hull sides set on seven blocks of similar design dynamic protection units installed on the tower. Units are installed on-site, not overlapped by 3 full-time on-board screens dynamic protection on each side.
3. To strengthen the case of the frontal zone, overlapped built-in displays the dynamic protection for each additional screen is mounted block dynamic protection , having the smallest dimensions in thickness (load).
Blocks created for installation on the sides of the hull are removable and kitted out exclusively on the eve of hostilities.
4. Aft area of the tank is protected by latticed screens that are installed on the aft turret and hull.
Blocks of dynamic protection placed on the body, as the lattice screens are installed on tank exclusively on the eve of hostilities in the specific criteria (for example, fighting in urban criteria).
Additional weight to hang on tank protective devices will be about 1.5 tonnes, but bearing in mind the conditions in which the tanks with extra protection to be used, we can say that the properties of mobility is not fundamentally affected.
It should also be noted that certain events may be implemented as in the forces on the tank T-72 and T-90, and in the process of production. In the process of production can be implemented additional measures, partly offsetting the desired growth of the mass.
1. Retrofitting of tanks T-72 and T-90 with additional safety devices on board and feed projections, can significantly increase the security of tanks with more insecure areas with massive use of RPG and light anti-tank.
2. Block-modular type of protection can work to improve safety devices on the basis of the scientific and technological potential and development activities, to increase the level of protection from the more massive and promising cumulative funds.
1. Protect tanks. VA Grigoryan, EG Yudin, II Teriokhin and others, ed. VA Grigoryan. -M.: Publishing House of the MSTU. NE Bauman, 2007.
2. Ordnance and ammunition. AV Babkin, VA Veldanov, EF Dirty and others, Ed. Ed. VV Selivanov. -M.: Publishing House of the MSTU. NE Bauman, 2008.
3. Impact force of the Army. Equipment and armament, 2007, № 12.
Another fundamentally moment in the debate between supporters and opponents of Russian tanks, is the issue of the presence / absence in the Russian Federation and the development of dynamic protection structures capable of withstanding modern tandem ammunition. Immediately answer the skeptics — such protection developed and available. Specifically, it blocks used in our brand new tank. More carefully about this, we plan to tell, but a little later.