[B] from the battalion to the creation of the division [/ b]
First division of the Italian paratroopers except 2-Libyan battalions are being trained at the school Tarquinia. In 1940, the walls of this school volunteers came from all parts of the imperial army and gave birth to a second parachute battalion under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Benzie.
First, 1941 was formed 3rd Parachute Battalion under the command of Major Pignatelli di Serchiara, and soon after him, and the 4th Parachute Battalion under the command of Major Bechi Lucern. The three battalions of April 1, 1941 have been combined in the first parachute regiment under the command of Colonel Riccardo Bignami.
In the same month, at the end of the long and bloody campaign of Greek paratroopers were puzzle to capture the island of Cephalonia. To perform this tasks was appointed 2nd Parachute Battalion, which sent two of Lecce in 3 of their own mouth, under the tactical command of Major Zanninovicha. April 30, 1941, taking off from the airport Galatina on several SM-82 aircraft, paratroopers of the 2nd Battalion, Posada without a fight in Argostoli. Paratroopers Battalion disarmed Greek police numbering about 400 people, and for the next day, requisitioned by the Greek fishing boats, planted on nearby islands of Ithaca and Zant in order to avoid their capture by the Germans. May 5 fighter second parachute infantry battalion changed. First use of paratroopers over a full success.
At this time, begins the formation and training of a few parts of the parachute. Since the summer of 1941 until the spring of 1942, was formed seven more battalions. One of them — a battalion of paratroopers, commandos. August 10, 1941 Artillery Group was formed. So Makarov, was created integral connection parachutists — Division.
Officially days of the formation of the division is 1 September 1941. 2nd parachute regiment consisted of the 5th, 6th and 7th Battalions. In accordance with the staffing division included the 1st and 2nd Parachute Regiment, 8th battalion parachutists, saboteurs and artillery group. It is fair to see that not all of the identified immediately became real parachute units, but in the course of the forthcoming services and training they got every right to be called. In March of the next year was formed 3rd Parachute regiment, consisting of the 9th, 10th and 11th battalions of paratroopers, and by July was formed parachute artillery regiment, which additionally includes two more artillery groups.
Parachute Division at their own level and the organization is very different from the other divisions, as it is easy to mix and had reduced support structure has not been saddled with surround back heavyweight divisions. Even the artillery regiment was equipped only with guns to fight enemy tanks that are not allowed to do tasks of fire support. Several mortars and machine guns, sub-machine guns yes "Beretta" as a personal weapon — that's standard armament personnel parachute parts.
On the other hand, this gun was more suitable for the solution of problems faced by the division: landing for the next surprise raid to the complex objects and mastering the main positions for short-term approach to the defense of their main forces.
But all these beautiful theory were not realized in the future Division "Folgore".
[B] Frustration [/ b]
Parachute Division at the initial stage commanded by Francesco Sapienza, which later was replaced by Enrico Frattini.
Basic training of personnel took place in Tuscany and Lazio regions right up to May 1942, when they moved to the south, in Puglia, for the realization of a more in-depth training aimed at preparing a massive assault force in Malta. The operation to capture Malta officially received the title of "Operation C3"
Excessive faith in the victory of Rommel and operation to capture Tobruk, which gives the advantage of Egypt, have become a prerequisite, because of which the basic operation of planting to Malta paratroopers was canceled. The official prerequisite cancellation was announced unwillingness to her parachute division, although it was in fact one hundred percent ready and armed for the realization of mass parachute landings.
In July 1942, the headquarters of the Army has decided to place the division in North Africa, but the satisfaction of paratroopers in connection with this decision was pathetic as it is, in fact, minimizing the possibility of making a parachute landing in the future. But the parachute because the property was not handed over and kept in stock, hope lived on.
At once division was renamed the 185th Parachute Division "Folgore" ("Lightning"). This name is derived from the Latin motto «ex alto Fluor» — «Like lightning from heaven."
The reorganization also reserve regiments, who received the title of 185-th, 186 th, 187 th, and artillery units and support was assigned No. Division — 185th. Either way, these announcements are not really reflected on the connection until such time as of Staff of the Army did not order 185th Regiment cast in place 4th and 5th Battalions as a base for the creation of the 2nd Parachute Division. In the 187th Regiment was only the 3rd Parachute Battalion. So Makarov, "Folgore" passed to the binary staff structure and piece by piece has to move to North Africa by plane from the airfield Loess and by sea and overland through the Balkans and Greece.
The first part, which hurt African land, became the 4th Battalion 187th Parachute Regiment under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Bechi Lyuserna, who arrived in Fuca on July 18. Soon arrived, and the other parts. Be located in El Daba jumpers for reasons of secrecy was not allowed to wear the wings on the form and other distinguishing marks of paratroopers, that the enemy does not vyznat of their presence in the area. For skydivers this was a nasty signal. Their mood was compounded when the order came to hand over the property to send the parachute back to the warehouse in humus. Thus fell the last hope of the commission airborne.
[B] Modern units Bri
gade "Folgore" and their deployment [/ b]
Now combat units "Folgore" presented by 3 infantry regiments, one regiment of military police and a special purpose regiment also parachute artillery group. The number of personnel of the brigade was recently increased and now stands at about 7 thousand people. 7 of about 3 thousand thousand are in parachute school that once was preparing personnel, repair, and laying the real part of the study, which is used for landing. The other 4 thousand people serve in combat units. In fact all the usual good preparation fighter in maroon berets also allows rear units or units not taking part in hostilities specifically on the battlefield, fully maintain liaison with combat units and as required to do military tasks.
The brigade is stationed in Tuscania, and in Livorno brigade headquarters is also the 1st, 9th, 187th and 185th regiments.
Brigade headquarters is located in a military town villa located, which is named in honor of the 2-brothers who have received two of the 20 2-gold medals, which were awarded to soldiers of the division for the courage and bravery shown in the Battle of El Alamein in 1943.
In the barracks, "Vannuchi" located on the coast of the 1st Parachute Regiment Carabinieri, 187th Parachute Regiment, 9th Regiment of special purpose and parachuting center for testing and development. Skydiving center is responsible for the entire test parachute equipment in service with the brigade, also in his puzzles comes the development and testing of the latest technology and its introduction to the troops.
The battalion command and combat support is placed in the barracks "Pisakeyn" with 185th parachute regiment of artillery, which is not so long ago was restructured and eventually got an extra battery air defense, armed with missiles which are South American "Stinger» GD FIM-92 A.
To combat training sessions made two cities for mountain training and maritime training, an indoor swimming pool for training units.
186th parachute regiment stationed in Siena in the barracks "Lamarmora" and the 183rd Parachute Regiment posted in the barracks, "Marini" in Pistola. Brigade Engineer Company located in the barracks, "Lorenzi" in Luke. In addition, in Pisa besides the parachute school, located in the barracks' Gamerra ", where the third part of the parachute training and a company of handlers parachutes deployed and logistics battalion, part of which is placed in the" Bechi Lyuserna ", and some — in the barracks "Artal". In Pisa also constantly stationed 26th Group Army Aviation «Giove», which separates the airfield S. Giusto with the aircraft C-130 s and G-222 of the 46th Air Brigade, constantly interacting with the implementation of training and combat missions with units parachute brigade.
[B] Continuing the traditions of "Folgore» [/ b]
Military Parachute School. Based at Tarkunii October 15, 1939 and has its origin in the Libyan parachute school. In December 1942, due to the necessity of simultaneous preparation of a much larger number of paratroopers, it was associated with a parachute school in Viterbo. Both schools were closed September 8, 1943. But January 1, 1947 in Rome, was created by parachute training unit, which is then re-moved to Viterbo in 1950. Here she remained right up to 1957, when it was moved to the north to Pisa. January 1, 1963 she was given a new name — the parachute training center, which became the basis for the creation of a parachute brigade. In 1964, the center returned An old name — the military parachute school. In 1983, the school ran across a particular submission parachute brigade commander "Folgore".
1st Parachute Regiment Carabinieri "Tuscania". Was created July 1, 1940 and June 29, 1941 took part in the fighting in North Africa. For bravery in the battle of El Assel Eluet Carabinieri earned a silver medal in the banner of his own regiment. May 15, 1951 was formed the first part of the parachute Carabinieri, which May 15, 1963 the battalion was deployed to. October 1, 1975 the battalion was deployed to the regiment, and received its present title, and a year later the 1st Parachute Regiment Carabinieri "Tuscania" was handed battle flag.
At the current time the regiment stationed in Livorno.
In addition to combat the challenges facing the regiment, the Carabinieri in wartime doing puzzles military police or gendarmerie field.
187th parachute Regiment "Folgore" Founded July 1, 1940 and received the title of the 1st Parachute Regiment. Units of the regiment made the first combat landing on the peninsula Cephalonia April 30, 1941. Then the regiment received the title of 187th Regiment and fought a war in the division "Folgore". After the second world war in Livorno was founded by the 1st Parachute Regiment, which served as the basis for the creation of the 2nd and 5th parachute regiments. The regiment received the battle flag of April 8, 1976.
186th Parachute Regiment "Folgore" was created on the basis of the 1st Parachute Regiment during the second world war and was an active component of the Division "Folgore". Particularly distinguished regiment in the battle with the British at El Alamein, where the loss suffered languid. Of the survivors of this battle officers and men was formed 285th maneuver battalion, which is then intensively waged war in Tunisia right until May 1943, when it was disbanded. Re-186th Parachute Regiment was formed in 1976.
The regiment received the battle flag of April 8, 1976.
185th Parachute Artillery Regiment "Folgore" was founded in January 1942 and fought in North Africa in the division "Folgore".
September 1, 1958 parachute artillery battery was re-created in the structure of parachute task force, and by July 1, 1963 the battery was deployed to the artillery group. Part was the battle flag. This is the first and only art group in the Italian army, which had its own battle flag from 1966 to 1975 year.
183rd Parachute Regiment "Nembo" Founded February 1, 1943 and is an active co
mponent of the division "Nembo" in Italian liberation war against Nazi Germany. After the Armistice September 8, 1943 of the regiment has decided to continue to fight together with old allies — the Germans and became a part of the armed forces of the Italian Social Republic, made after the liberation of Mussolini by German paratroopers. Battling in the task force "Folgore", the regiment landed last parachute Troopers second in the world of 100 soldiers and officers. September 22, 1944 the regiment was disbanded.
Disbanded the regiment was re-created and restored his title and numbering of December 1, 1948. October 20, 1975 it was reorganized into a mechanized battalion of mechanized brigade «Gorizia». April 30, 1991, this compound was dissolved. Then in Pistoia Parachute Battalion was formed, which in 1994 received the status of the regiment and an old name.
3rd Parachute Battalion "Pogge Rusko" Made in 1941 as part of the 1st Parachute Regiment, he got the number 185 in July of the same year. In September 1942 he was transferred to the division "Nembo." After the Armistice September 8, 1943 was converted into a reconnaissance squadron of "F" and immediately after that took part in the operation "Goering." Soldiers of the battalion reconnaissance patrols made, working together with the battalion "Nembo", dropping behind enemy lines in different areas, namely in the area of the town Pogge Rusko. The battalion is a continuation of the 1st Parachute Regiment and received his battle flag.
The 9th Parachute Assault Regiment "Number Moshin" is the heir and successor of the traditions of the Italian special forces armed forces and had its origins in the 9th Assault Battalion, who distinguished himself during World War II at Mount Number Moshin. His story continued to the 10th Regiment, based in 1942, whose flag was handed to the modern 9th Regiment. 10th Regiment particularly distinguished himself in battles Italian units during the Italian war of liberation against the German fascists.
Parachute Battalion logistics "Folgore" The battalion formed October 1, 1975 to implement logistical support Parachute Brigade and is a direct heir to the traditions support units Division "Folgore". October 23, 1976 the battalion served battle flag.
The battalion command and combat support "Folgore" Formed in Pisa, October 1, 1963 to serve the parachute brigade headquarters and at the current time is referred to as the battalion command and combat support. Communication company, which is the active component of the battalion September 15, 1977 adopted the legacy of the 185th Engineer Company Communication Division "Folgore", who fought during the second world war.
Combat Engineer Company Roth formed October 1, 1975 on the basis of the combat engineer platoon Division and received the modern title of the August 1, 1986. Roth continues the tradition and keep the inheritance of the 185th engineer company division "Folgore" since the second world war.
26th Group Army Aviation «Giove» This air unit was formed July 21, 1966 at the airfield S. Giusto, having first obtained the title of "helicopter section Parachute Brigade." In the following years the section has been converted into a troop, and February 20, 1976 received the modern title.
46th Aviation Brigade September 3, 1973 was created by the parachute school officers and non-commissioned officers, where in accordance with the educational applets started committing skydiving from aircraft C-130 "Hercules". In this regard, after year was formed 50th Air Transport Group. By this time began the introduction of twin-engine aircraft G-222 for the realization of dropping paratroopers and equipment. After that, the 2nd and 98th air transport group, who had armed the machines have been consolidated in the 46th air brigade, which is also deployed in the current time in Pisa.
[B] Parachute Brigade Combat activity [/ b]
Parachute Brigade "Folgore" is a constant component of the Italian Army. More intensively involved in combat operations 1st Parachute Regiment Carabinieri "Tuscania". This unit is heavily involved for the operation against the Italian Mafia, and has for the necessary arms and equipment. The highest mobility shelf allows you to quickly use it.
Also, the Italian paratroopers brigade "Folgore" participated in almost all peacekeeping operations late XX — early XXI century in the framework of cooperation in the North Atlantic bloc. NATO partners appreciate the level of battle training team and take into account its operational capacity in planning joint military action alliance.