Remarkable "coincidence data with our knowledge of Plato
Deep water off the coast of the Peloponnese
Praafinyan land was described as: "All of it runs away from the mainland by the sea, like the Cape, and from all sides of the vessel is immersed in a deep abyss." The ancient Greeks could not even suggest the presence of more depths of several dozen meters. Perhaps, however, that Plato based on the presence of steep banks, drew the correct conclusion, that where the rocks abruptly cut off at sea should be greater depths.
The process of denudation
"… And here was, as happens with small islands, compared with the previous state of a skeleton emaciated body ailment, when all soft and fat land has been washed away, and the only one still frame in front of us." This is a fairly accurate description of the process of denudation, which exposed rock foundation. A similar process is really happening in Greece and throughout the Mediterranean. Weathering products were not kept on the mountain slopes, devoid of forests, and were washed out to sea. Today's karst limestone surface most of Greece looks like that.
Soil and forests as regulators of water flow
In the "Critias", Plato wrote: "… the water pours out every year from Zeus, did not die, as now, running down to the bare land into the sea, but an abundance of soaking into the soil seeping into the voids above the ground and is stored in the clay beds , but because everywhere there was no shortage in the sources of streams and rivers. " Again, Plato shows that knowledge, which in contemporary Greece, no one could be.
Location of the temple of Neith in Egypt
At the beginning of the dialogue "Timaeus" says: "There are in Egypt, at the apex of the Delta, where the Nile diverges into separate streams, SG, called Saisskim, the main town of Nome — Sais … Patron of the city — a kind of goddess who is called in Egyptian Neith … ". This description is completely accurate.
Earthquakes and floods
In the description of the destruction of Atlantis Plato puts near these natural disasters. Modern Geology says that they occur together during the tsunami. Approximately in the XV century BC explosion of a volcano on the island of Tyre, located in the Aegean Sea. Most tsunami then reached mainland Greece, Crete, Egypt, and other parts of the Eastern Mediterranean. According to some researchers, the memories of the disaster were the source of Plato to describe the destruction of Atlantis.
Plato's description of the war with Atlantis praafinyan very similar to the Greek war with the Persians. The Athenians also had to fight alone, as the Persians wanted to rule Greece "one stroke", the Greeks also freed the Greek cities of Asia Minor from the Persian yoke.
Description of the island of Atlantis like Crete, both in relief, and on the natural data. Capital is sometimes compared with Atlantis Tiroy or Carthage. Schult said that the system of three concentric walls typical of the ancient Mediterranean cities.
"There was a temple dedicated to Poseidon, one who had the stages in length, three in width plethra and accordingly high." This means that the length of the temple was 190 meters and a maximum width of 90 meters 2:1 fairly common in Greek temples. B. Brandenshteyn quotes figures 69h31 for the Parthenon and the Temple of Apollo to 109h51 at Miletus. About the Temple of Poseidon, Plato wrote that he was surrounded by a golden fence, but the same is said about the temple of Aphrodite in Cyprus. Sculpture of Poseidon in a chariot drawn by six winged horses, surrounded by a hundred Nereids on dolphins like Poseidon sculptor Scopas.
Plato wrote that Atlantis was an island rich in metals, which is strange for the Atlantic Ocean, but of course for the Mediterranean Sea. According to the description of metals, it could be Cyprus or Ibiza (near the coast of Spain).
Plato data inconsistency and data of historical science
1. From the dialogues of Plato implies the existence of advanced civilizations on the island of Atlantis in Greece 11,500 years ago. However, the most ancient civilizations known to science — is a civilization of Mesopotamia and Egypt, from the early fourth century BC Plato wrote of Atlantis writing, but the earliest written records also refer to IV millennium BC and also to Egypt and Mesopotamia. J. Demyul cites data that ancient settlement whose inhabitants engaged in cattle breeding in Greece, in the mid-eighth century BC
2. According to Plato, the Atlanteans knew gold, tin, silver, copper, and iron orichalcum. But then they were living in the Iron Age, and the soldiers were armed with iron weapons. Hence it follows that the pre-Hellenes were also armed with iron weapons, otherwise how could they could win the Atlanteans? But we do know that in Greece, iron did not appear until the XI century BC True, some authors explain this discrepancy. For example, NF Fat wrote that episode about catching the bull "without iron" means not having iron weapons the Atlanteans, and the presence of religious objects made of iron, possibly meteoric. It is also not clear what is hidden behind a metal called orichalcum (orichalcum literally means "metal from the mountains"). In the literature, a lot of opinions on this metal. Some of them are quite good, others are just fantastic. Rather, it is an alloy of copper and any metal, such as zinc (zinc later Romans called orichalcum or aurichalcum).
3. Plato writes that from the main city of Atlantis to the sea was dug kilometer wide channel hundred meters and a depth of 30 meters (!) Draught largest ocean-going vessels of 10 m, and the largest shipping channels have a depth of 12 m
4. Plato wrote that the island had the shape of a rectangle with sides of 2000 and 3000 stadia stadia (579h386 = 223'494 km2). Before that, he wrote that the island was more of Libya (Africa) and Asia (Asia Minor) combined. This is another clear discrepancy. Even if you do not take the geographical knowledge of the ancient Greeks, and even more ancient praafinyan, it turns out that even the known part of Africa had much larger area.
5. Plato wrote that the army's main island of Atlantis was 840 `000 soldiers, 120` 000 `10 riders and 000 chariots, the fleet consisted of 1,200 vessels with 240` 000 sailors. Herodotus gives the Persian army of Xerxes on the following data: 1 `700` 000 foot soldiers, 80 `000 riders, 1,200 large ships, 3,000 small vessels. However, most historians believe that these numbers are clearly too high. According to D. Kagan, it could be a 180 `000 soldiers and 800 ships. So, perhaps, a description of the Army Plato took Herodotus.
6. Based on the forces of the army can be judged on the population of Atlantis. Obtained 20-30 million, while scientists believe that the total population of 1.5 million people.
Category: Mystery stories