Statement of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe acknowledges "the need for further cooperation with our partners for the formation of an experienced point of view on the events that took place in Minsk." This was stated by Foreign Ministry spokesman Andrei Savinykh, commenting on the 12 January statement.
He also stressed that the position and actions of the Belarusian side "is fully determined by the requirements of the law and legal standards that meet generally accepted international practice."
At the same time, Savin did not comment on the debate on Belarus, which took place on January 12 and in the European Parliament adopted a resolution on their results. "We are closely monitoring this process. Position Republic of Belarus will be announced after the final decision by our partners, "- said a spokesman for the Foreign Ministry.
As previously reported, the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe on January 12 called on the Belarusian authorities to immediately release the arrested candidates for the presidency in 2010, journalists and human rights defenders.
"The Committee of Ministers asked the Belarusian authorities to provide further information about the basis on which the presidential candidates, journalists and human rights activists were arrested after the election. They should be released immediately, and respect for their human rights must guaranteed — said in a statement. — Political freedoms must be respected in full. "
The Committee of Ministers stated that "continue to support the establishment of closer relations Council of Europe and Belarus only on the basis of respect for European values and principles. "