March 6 in the waters of Bermuda triangle disappeared naval ship Cyclops

March 6, 2012 13:10

Ore carrier American Cyclops

Mirovoy ocean conceals many mysteries, the first of them — the mystery of Bermuda triangle, where for the foreseeable future has disappeared without a trace a lot of ships and aircraft.

February 16, 1918 the Navy ship "Cyclops" to hit the road from the coast of Rio de Janeiro. Last post on the vessel arrived on March 6 in Barbados. Since then the ship never seen again. He disappeared with 306 passengers and crew.

There was a lot of versions, among them as worthy of attention, as well as purely fantastic. President Woodrow Wilson said, "Only God and the sea know what happened to the ship." A very respectable magazine stated, "hunch" about if from sea water popped huge squid and pulled the ship into the deep.

However, none of these hypotheses have not provided an answer to the question: what happened to "Cyclops"? So in the treasury of mystical disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle added another story …

The Bermuda Triangle is located within the boundaries between Bermuda, Miami, Florida and Puerto Rico. With an area of over one million square kilometers.

The area is not particularly different from other similar geographic locations. And yet, it was in the Bermuda Triangle mysteriously disappearing ships and aircraft … Regarding the mysterious area in the western Atlantic for nearly 100 years are legendary about space aliens, monsters, strange gases and vapors that rise from the depths of the earth, the unknown phenomena: jumping through space and time, black holes, and the U.S. military secret experiments, reported

On the subject:

American Ore carrier "Cyclops" left the port of Barbados with 309 passengers on board and disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle. February 21, 1918 Ore carrier "Cyclops" went out of the bay of Bahia Grande, Argentina, to North American shores, taking on board many passengers — vacationers and retired personnel of the coastal and marine services, as well as employees of the diplomatic mission. At that time it was one of the biggest ships in the Navy United States, with a displacement of 19,000 tons and a body length of 180 meters. This voyage of the "Cyclops" was carrying 10,000 tons of manganese ore, necessary for the production of high quality steel gun. During the war, the cargo was worth more than gold. "Cyclops" commanded by Captain George W. Worley — sullen, taciturn man and also a great original. For example, it used to be on the bridge, in violation of the statute, without his uniform — a shirt and a soft hat. Captain Ore served in the Navy, twenty-eight years, and commanded this vessel after its first access to the sea in 1910. March 4, 1918 "Cyclops" came out of a port on the island of Barbados (West Indies) and headed to Norfolk. (Destination port is sometimes called Baltimore. Both route across the Atlantic is the same, because both cities are in the Chesapeake Bay.) But at the destination port Ore carrier has not arrived. And the most remarkable thing about this story is that the "Cyclops" disappeared without a trace, he did not file a distress call, after he did not have any debris or waterlogged boats, no life preserver. Disappearance of the "Cyclops" was one of the greatest mysteries in the history of navigation. In any case, that's what happened valued senior management of the U.S. Navy — perhaps to justify the failure conducted after that search-and-rescue operation. What was not trying to explain the death of ore carriers. At first it was suggested that it torpedoed, but the study of German archives after the war showed that during this period of time in the area Atlantic German U-boats did not appear. In addition, the Germans used to report on the radio about the destruction of large enemy ships, but none of the reports broadcast by radio, "Cyclops" was not mentioned. Some felt that the "Cyclops" hit a mine, but, as it turned out, mine fields in the area were not. In addition, the explosion of the mines in the radio operator is the time to send an SOS signal and at least a few people can have time to board the life rafts. The complete absence of debris has said that there was not a collision with a mine or an explosion inside the ship, for otherwise in the water swimming would not only fragments, but also the dead. However, do not exclude the possibility that the side of the ship could enter saboteur. Soon, a saboteur actually found. Suspicion fell on the captain's "Cyclops." George Worley was actually George Wichmann. Once in the States is a child, he took the name of the person who he was adopted and subsequently procured for him an American citizen. As soon found out a consequence, Wichmann-Worley shortly before the release of his last voyage on a secret told his friends that he will perform a very important task, after which it will be for six months and will leave it at home, in Norfolk. Such recognition — if we assume that everything is as it was — in themselves throwing suspicion on the captain of "Cyclops." But his wife Worley immediately protested against the charges. She stated that her husband was a real American — patriot, professed principles of freedom and democracy. And the proof of this — his long honorable service. According to Mrs. Worley, "Cyclops" is likely lost control and is drifting, waiting for someone to come to his aid. Because of the lack of direct evidence against George Worley version associated with malicious intent, had to be discarded. After a lengthy investigation Ministry spokesman Navy issued the following statement "The disappearance of" Cyclops "- one of the toughest mysteries in the annals of the Navy, all attempts to locate him have been unsuccessful. None of the theories put forward any satisfactory explains how and under what circumstances, the ship was gone. " President Wilson said that "only God and the sea know what happened to this great ship." And a very respectable magazine "Literary Digest", even suggested "a guess" as if from the sea water rose giant squid wrapped "Cyclops" its horrible tentacles and dragged him to the bottom of the ocean. The press reported the missing boat appeared only in the middle of next month. "Virginian Pilot," April 15, 1918 published an article entitled "The Death of the American uglevoza. Another mystery of the ocean. " It said the following "Washington, April 14. "Cyclops", a major uglevoz U.S. Navy, arrived at the destination port on the Atlantic coast, where he waited on March 13. How to inform the Ministry of the Navy, the ship has no connection with the March 4, and his fate is the major concern. " The Ministry stated the following, "It is difficult to explain why the" Cyclops "is late in arriving at its destination, because there is no radio contact with him since his departure from the port on an island in the West Indies. Weather along the way, "Cyclops" was quite satisfactory and could not put the boat in any difficult situation. Of course, the "Cyclops" could be sunk by enemy raider or submarine, but there is no evidence of the presence in this region of the ocean any enemy ships. As you know, one of the two engines "Cyclops" was damaged and he was going at a slower speed, using only one engine. But even if both of its main engine broke down, he still had the opportunity to send a message over the radio. Search for "Cyclops" continues, but the Ministry of the Navy had a strong concern for the safety of the ship. " "Virginian Pilot," 16 April 1918 "Washington, April 15. Officials refuse to believe that a huge uglevoz displacing 19,000 tons on board, except for those, 293 people could disappear without leaving a trace. Therefore, search vessels were ordered to carefully examine every inch of the way "Cyclops" and go to each of the sets in the zone of the route of the islands. Representatives of the Navy openly admitted that none of the theories to explain the disappearance of the "Cyclops" is not borne out by the facts. Explosion occurred really could instantly destroy the station, and the engine, but then floated on the ocean would be a huge amount of debris, indicating the grave of the vessel. We can assume that a sudden gust hurricane, as it often happens in those waters, the ship first paralyzed and then sink it, but in this case, would be left any evidence occurring disaster. " The search was stopped in May, when all attempts to find the ship were unsuccessful. Calculating the stability of "Cyclops", naval experts have concluded that the ship experienced a significant, but not excessive the rolling. According to them, the heavy ore in the hold under the influence of pitching could move so much that it caused roll and dive deck into the water. At a certain wind speed and wave height of a list could be very dangerous for the vessel. However, the opinion of experts pointed out that other ships, marching along the same route, did not notice any exceptionally bad weather. Subsequently, the Office of Naval Intelligence transferred in its report all versions put forward in connection with the death of the vessel 1. The crew mutinied, seized the ship and took him to a certain point, located away from the main shipping routes. 2. U.S. Consul General in Rio de Janeiro, at the "Cyclops" as a passenger, and known for his pro-German, organized the transfer of the vessel in the hands of the Germans. 3. The ship was torpedoed by a German submarine. 4. There was an explosion of manganese dioxide, which under certain conditions it is extremely explosive. 5. "Cyclops" sunk as a result of strong roll. 6. Captain Worley, a native of Germany, passed the "Cyclops" Germans or enabled by a German submarine to sink a ship. But the Ministry of the Navy did not have the facts, which would speak in favor of at least one of these versions. Many believed that the key to unlocking will be found in a few years. In 1919, the mother of one of the crew was from New York telegram, which indicated that her son was alive, and "Cyclops" is located in one of the German ports. In the sea off Galveston was found a bottle with a note in which it was reported that "Cyclops" was torpedoed in 1000 miles east of Newfoundland. Both messages were a hoax. In 1920, Lieutenant Commander S. Malone Tisdel led evidence, backed by the assumption that the ship just turned over. During one of his voyages to the "Cyclops" Tisdel found that the manhole covers on the tank deck was pulled. "I went up to the bridge and told the captain that someone opened all tanks below deck. The captain laughed at my fears, and said that they are always open, in accordance with the instructions shipyard where it was built, "Cyclops" … "Tisdel was sure that during the last voyage," Cyclops "in the cargo holds of him at motion moved, the water rushed in open hatches and the ship capsized. "This could happen for any number of seconds, and no one has to leave the ship. Since all went to the bottom of the sea, on the surface of nothing and no one left. No debris and could not be. They would have remained only in the case if the ship struck a mine or was torpedoed. They had no time even to send a signal SOS. They do everything there was no time. Those few who were in the water, they could not hold out for long. And all sorts of small objects floating on the surface, are lost in the vast expanses of the ocean long before rescue vessels began a search for "Cyclops." Although the arguments of Lieutenant-Commander Tisdela — one of the most suitable solutions to this puzzle, in his argument has two flaws. First, Tisdel has assumed that there was a great storm, and according to the same meteorological reports, the weather was good. Second, his whole concept is based on the fact that the hatches were open. Meanwhile, Captain 3rd rank Yates, an employee shipyard in Norfolk, accused Worley that he fooled Tisdelu head. "When the lieutenant Tisdel found that hatches on deck tanks are open," Cyclops "was empty, but in this case it does not matter, the hatches opened or closed — wrote Yeats. — As a rule, when the vessel has no cargo tank filled with water (as ballast). " Yates further pointed out that there were no instructions to that effect shipyard did not give, and that Worley in any case would not keep the hatches open, if the ship was cargo. Captain Zarfoss claimed that "Cyclops" was "sunk by its own weight. "Manganese has property corrode all that is under it. I guess — he said — that the crash occurred immediately, as in fact the bottom of the ship just sank. " Many sailors believed that the blame was heavy superstructure. Steel derricks, designed for fast loading and unloading of coal, has a fairly high above the deck. In the case of a large roll heavy superstructure prevented the ship upright, with the result that the cargo could move, and the ship — over. If holds are not fully loaded, as the "Cyclops", the cargo is more mobile than the holds filled to capacity. The weak point of this theory, as did many others, is the assumption that the displacement of the load may only happen in bad weather. "Cyclops" is still mentioned in the headlines when, in 1930, the department of the navy sent someone's diary, which indicated that the four men, "receiving money from an enemy," laid explosives in the engine room of the ship and drowned . First, ministry officials were willing to accept the story at face value, but much of it seemed doubtful, especially in the part where it was about an enemy ship with a crew of 700 people, which was supposedly in the alleged death of "Cyclops" in order to eliminate traces of disaster. The whole history of the diary was tricked and was soon forgotten. Already in 1956, the press reported that they had seen, as "before Easter" in 1918, "Cyclops" exploded in the Florida Straits. No one could explain why the silent witnesses of the disaster for nearly forty years, and why the ship so abruptly changed course and was so far from the port of destination. In 1969, a man named Conrad A. Nervig, who served on the "Cyclops" during his last voyage to South America, suggested that the ship split in two. "I often could not understand what was that sound like two pieces of metal rubbing against each other. Ship sagged so much that in places where steam or water line in contact with the body, you can clearly see the movement. Deck up and down, as if the ship was trying to adjust to the changing contour of the wave. When at the end of the day I mentioned this to the captain, he shrugged and said haughtily, "My son," Cyclops "still outlive you and me." Nervig figured into the ship led some young, inexperienced officer who had ordered to fill a central hold, which has further strengthened the risk associated with imperfect design "Cyclops." According to Nerviga, the ship split in two and sank before the operator had to signal SOS. However, the vessel was loaded correctly. Standing by the captain himself Worley and Manuel Pereira of the Brazilian mining company, who for many years directed the loading of ships. Pereira said that the "Cyclops" could still two thousand tons of ore more without the slightest danger to themselves and that the load was distributed uniformly in the ship's hold. "Cyclops" still appears in the press — and not just as one of the characters in the legend of the Bermuda Triangle. This was the first large vessel, equipped with a radio transmitter, which disappeared without sending a signal SOS, and the largest ship of the Navy United States, which was gone, leaving no trace. Every year in March, which marks the anniversary of the date of his disappearance, again written articles about this mysterious event, updated old and new theories are put forward, and probably a hundred times already published photo became famous "Cyclops." His disappearance and still continue, not without reason called "the unsolved mystery in the annals of the Navy."

Like this post? Please share to your friends: