The results of the 2012 National Geographic. They present their TOP 10 discoveries made during the year. New types of unique animals, discoveries in astronomy and science, as well as archeology. Again there were no Mayan …
1. Detection of "Drama" of the temple of the Maya, lost in the jungles of Guatemala. During recent excavations, archaeologists found a temple in the jungles of Guatemala's Maya, who, despite his age, is very well preserved.
2. Ancient Mayan murals. Rare Maya murals discovered on the wall of his house resident Guatemalan village Chahul during renovation of the kitchen. This finding Lucas Ramirez did five years ago, but archaeologists have learned about the discovery recently. Scientists believe that the images belong to the Mayan culture. Painted on the wall of a procession of people, some of them dressed in Native American, the other — in Spanish costumes.
3. Legless amphibians. The new family of previously unknown to science legless amphibians found in the jungles of the Indian scholars of the North-East of India. It feels like a small snake or worm creature that locals mistakenly considered deadly, it was found for the first time described the expedition biologists from Delhi University.
4. A new species of monkeys that live in the rainforests of the Congo, the researchers found. Previously, this species of primates was not known. A new species was named — Cercopithecus lomamiensis.
5. Astronomers have counted in the star HD 10180, located at a distance of 127 light-years from Earth in the constellation of Hydra, the nine planets.
6. "The Lost World" in Antarctica. Scientists have found on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Antarctica is a real lost world.
7. Physicists working at the Large Hadron Collider, have announced that they found a new subatomic particle that corresponds to the parameters of the Higgs boson.
8. Astronomers have suggested that at the edge of the solar system, beyond the orbit of Neptune, is unknown until now a dwarf planet.
9. "Sweet discovery." Astronomers have made a sweet discovery — found in a gas cloud surrounding a young star IRAS 16293-2422, traces of simple sugars. The discovery was made using a radio telescope project Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA), located in Chile.
10. Giant crocodile Lolong, who was found in the Philippines, reaches 6.17 meters in length. Saltwater crocodile got into the Guinness Book of Records. He is recognized as the longest of its own species living in captivity.