An excerpt from the book "Home Remedies Ayurveda"
The purpose of this chapter — to help choose the best diet for balance, harmony and health. Most people who care about their health, it is now understood that good nutrition plays an important role in healing and maintaining health, while poor diet usually leads to poor health and low vitality.
Food for the different types of constitution
What you eat has to match your constitution. Ideally, you should know its own constitution and understand how it relates to the quality of food, in particular, how the food will affect the balance of the doshas.
The system of three doshas
The matter consists of five main "gross elements": earth (prithvi), water (jala), fire (agni), air (vayu), ether (akasha).
Items are grouped into three basic fundamental life force — doshas — that regulate all body functions. A person is healthy when the doshas are in balance.
Vata (ether and air) — the principle of momentum necessary to mobilize the function of the nervous system.
Pitta (fire and water) — the principle of energy, which uses bile to direct digestion and hence metabolism into the venous system.
Kapha (water and earth) — the principle of body fluid, which is related with the mucous substances, lubrication and a source of nutrients for the arterial system.
Determine the ratio of the doshas in the body can take a quiz, for example, here:
The test for the doshas.
To do this you need to take into account the taste of food, its quality such as the gravity and lightness, humidity and dry, liquid and hardness, to know whether this food is cooling or warming, to know its effect after digestion.
If you have a desire to master this knowledge, you can further study the theory of Ayurveda. Otherwise, you can rely on these guidelines proposed in which these factors are taken into account.
The recommendations are divided into different types of food into categories according to the type of the constitution, for which they are suitable. Knowing a few simple rules:
• Food with a "no" can initiate appropriate dosha, while the food is marked "yes", that balances it. When planning your diet, choose foods and maintain a healthy balance, and avoid foods that increase the doshas, which are currently instituted or increased in your body, and if not, then the doshas prevalent in your constitution.
• The proposed recommendations are approximate. If a food gets to you under the rubric of "no", which means that in most cases, you should avoid its use, and if you still want it, then you need to observe moderation, or to take steps to compensate for her actions. For example, apples, if eaten raw, very irritating wool. But if you bake them and eat warm, adding a little ghee and warming spices like cardamom or cinnamon, in moderate amounts is a dish well suited for Vata individuals.
• Take into account the time of year. For example, summer — a season of pitta, and at this time is not helpful, especially for people in the constitution dominated pitta, there are too many hot spicy food, which increases pitta. Similarly, in the autumn, when the air is dry and cold and the atmosphere is full of cotton wool, to all people with a vata constitution especially should avoid dried fruits, salads, cold dishes and other food, irritating wool. In winter and early spring, in a heavy, cold and wet season Kapha should not eat cold food and drinks, ice cream, cheese, yogurt, melons and other foods, increases kapha.
• People with dual constitution (that is, by the constitution, which is approximately equal ratio of the two dominant doshas) to take into account some additional considerations. They are quite simple and consist in the fact that, for example, Vata Pitta individual to fall and winter to avoid foods, increasing the wool (while avoiding excessive increase pitta), and in the summer to minimize the consumption of food, irritating Pitta (making sure that wool is also not excited). In other words, it can be expressed as: the fall should be preferred food, balancing vata, and in the summer — food, soothing Pitta.
Ayurveda — is a massive system of Indian medicine, the principles of which were formulated in the VIII century BC. Ayurveda is widely practiced, in fact, in India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and more recently it has become fashionable in the West. From the Sanskrit word "Ayurveda" translates as "knowledge of life", and it is no accident: Ayurveda provides guidance not only for the treatment of patients, but also to build a life in general, and on the basis of a special system of philosophy.
Below I will give general guidance on the preparation of the diet to balance the doshas.
• 50% of cereals — whole-grain cereal, some bread
• 20% protein — eggs, high-quality dairy products, poultry, fish, seafood, meat, tofu, red and black lentils
• 20-30% of vegetables and, if desired, 10% of fresh fruit
• 50% of cereals — whole-wheat bread, cereals (corn flakes, etc.), oatmeal, cooked grains subjected
• 20% of protein — beans (except lentils), tofu, tempeh, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, fresh milk, chicken and turkey (white meat only), shrimp, rabbit, venison
• 20-30% of vegetables and, if desired, 10% of fresh fruit
• 30-40% of grain products — dry rye bread, dry cereal semis subjected cooked grains.
• 20% of protein — chicken, turkey, hard-boiled or soft-boiled eggs, small amounts of goat's milk, most legumes (including chickpeas, Adouki, kidney beans, red lentils, black and white beans, mung bean, split peas, chickpeas chernoglazku)
• 40-50% of fresh vegetables, if you want 10% of the dried or fresh fruit. It is useful to have a daily salad.
Healthy and unhealthy food habits
The way you eat is not as important as what you eat. Below I provide some useful food habits, and habits that should be avoided.
Useful food habits
• Choose foods in accordance with its constitution. Well chosen food will nourish the body without disturbing the equilibrium of doshas in it.
• Giving preference to a particular food, consider the weather.
• Eat fresh food for the best quality you can afford.
• Do not eat until you are hungry.
• Do not drink if you do not feel thirsty. If you're hungry, but instead of food drink, the liquid will dilute the digestive enzymes and weaken the digestive fire.
• Eat sitting. Do not eat standing up, lying down, while walking.
• When you eat — eat. That is, do not read, do not watch TV and not too distracted by the conversation. Focus on the food.
• chew writing, making at least 32 chewing movements on drink. This allows the digestive enzymes in the mouth how to do their job.
• Eat a moderate speed. Do not give for writing in a hurry.
• Do not Eat the meal food more than you can hold in stacked "boats" palms. Overeating gradually stretches the stomach and therefore to experience saturation, it will take more food than your body really needs. Excess food is not digested properly, resulting in the gastrointestinal tract are formed toxins.
• Fill one-third of the stomach with food, one third — water, and a third blank. Such a ratio is favorable for the activities of digestive enzymes.
• Do not drink fruit juice at mealtimes or icy drinks, wash down writing a small amount of warm water.
• Do not heat-treated honey, he becomes like a glue that sticks to the membranes and clogs subtle channels.
Unhealthy eating habits
• Is there a short time later, after a hearty meal.
• Drinking too much water for a meal or drink at all.
• Drink heavily chilled water.
• Is in constipation.
• There is the wrong time of day — too early or too late.
• Eating too much junk food at a time, or too little light.
• Eating fruits and drink fruit juice with other food.
• There are not being hungry.
• To experience strong emotions with food.
• Eating incompatible products.
• regular snack between meals or eat irregularly.
Incompatible combination products
Today the shelves of pharmacies and health food stores are made to the means to improve digestion, prevent indigestion and gas formation. However, most of these disorders begins with the use of incompatible products.
If by "sick" means that the behavior of the body deviates from the usual, do the following: remove from the diet for at least animal protein, as a maximum — all the food, at least for a day. Need to drink more water, at least half a liter more than normal. Also pour cold water: patients who have a high temperature, it is necessary to carry out pouring every hour.
According to Ayurveda, certain food combinations upset the normal digestion and upset the balance of doshas. Wrong combination of foods can lead to indigestion, fermentation and the formation of gases. If this occurs frequently, it can cause disease. Take just one example — if there are bananas and milk, this may weaken agni and modify the intestinal microflora, leading to the formation of toxins, and cause a runny nose, cold, cough, allergy, urticaria, rash. In disorders of the digestive system due to improper food combination formed ama — toxic substance, which is the cause of most diseases.
Consequences of the use of products not fit can be mitigated by using herbs and spices. But it's best to deal with the consequences of helping a strong agni. To stimulate digestion, good chew before eating a piece of fresh ginger (you can drop on a few drops of lime juice (or lemon) and sprinkle with salt.) Names in italics are the most incompatible foods.
Especially avoid such mixtures as banana milkshake and popsicles from milk. Fruit salads of several different fruits are also undesirable. For mixed fruit juices it is to a lesser extent.
|MILK||bananas, yogurt, eggs, melon, fish, sour fruits, kichadi (mung bean and basmati rice), yeast bread|
|YOGURT||milk, melon, sour fruits, hot beverages, including coffee and tea, mango (mango lassi so — not a good idea), starch, cheese, bananas|
|MELON||all products, especially: corn starch, fried foods, cheese|
|EGGS||milk, yogurt, melon, cheese, fruit, potatoes|
|STARCH||bananas, eggs, milk, dates|
|MED||w (in equal proportions by weight), grain|
|CORN||dates, raisins, bananas|
|LEMON||yogurt, milk, cucumbers, tomatoes|
|Solanaceae18||yogurt, milk, melon, cucumber18Potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, etc.|
Recommendations for milk and milk products
In Ayurveda, milk and milk products such as ghee and freshly made yogurt, are considered very important for nutrition. However, the process of pasteurization, which kills bacteria and other potentially harmful microorganisms, as contained in milk destroys enzymes needed for its adequate absorption. As a result, the milk becomes more kaphagennym and some nutrients contained therein, in particular calcium, less assimilated. So it's best to use fresh milk from a reliable source. However use pasteurized milk from the store and products made from it is better than completely abandon milk products. Note that prolonged boiling of milk (a few minutes) leads to a structural change in the securities of milk proteins for the worse (in terms of nutritional value), so if you boil the milk, then take it off immediately after boiling.