Peptic ulcer disease — a condition in which the stomach and (or)
The disease is characterized by chronic and cyclical: debilitating illness of his master for years, periods of exacerbation are replaced deceptive tranquility. The most common ulcer makes itself felt in the spring and fall.
Peptic disease Duodenal ulcers are much more common than peptic disease stomach.
Leading role in the development of the disease plays a spiral bacterium Helicobacter Pylori, which damages the lining of the stomach and
The fact is, the ulcer does not develop without a number of additional factors:
- stress, anxiety, depression. Thus there is dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system with advantage vagal tone. This in turn causes muscle spasm stomach and blood vessels. As a result, he is left without adequate nutrition and becomes vulnerable to the action of hydrochloric acid: the walls are beginning to be digested with caustic stomach acids. Formed ulcer
- bad heredity;
- malnutrition: the use of coarse and spicy food. This increases the production of hydrochloric acid.
- alcohol abuse. Alcohol increases aggressive properties and reduces gastric mucosal protective properties.
- smoking. Nicotine increases the production of hydrochloric acid, prevents normal digestion of food, damaging the wall of the stomach, and in violation of the production of gastric mucosal protective factors in the pancreas.;
- uncontrolled use of certain drugs (reserpine, corticosteroids, aspirin).
What's going on?
Microbe Helicobacter pylori is transmitted from person to person through close prolonged contact, such as kissing, through a common utensils and towels, as well as poor hygiene in toilets.
Once in the stomach, Helicobacter, begins to actively replicate and conduct subversive activities. It produces special enzymes (urease, protease) that damage the protective layer of mucous (inside) of the stomach and
What are the symptoms?
In the first place of the occurrence and development of peptic ulcer disease to humans indicates pain in the upper abdomen. Disturbed night and "hungry" pain in which a person must
Pain in peptic ulcer disease have a clear rhythm (time of occurrence and relationship to food intake), frequency (alternating with periods of pain of their absence) and seasonality of exacerbations (spring and fall). Characteristically, the pain of peptic ulcer disease are reduced or disappear after meals and antacids (almagel, Maalox).
One of the most common symptoms of peptic ulcer disease is heartburn, which usually occurs later
Keep in mind, in some cases, ulcer may be asymptomatic!
If disease left untreated, ulcerative defect extends deep into the lining of the stomach. This process can be completed life threatening complications such as perforation (perforated), wherein in the wall of the stomach or intestines through hole is formed, or bleeding.