The Ministry of Defense of the United States embarked on a study of mandatory capacity reduction in military spending, reports Aviation Week. Among the options under consideration: postponement of the construction of either a reduction in the order previously made in the design and construction of the promising class aircraft carriers "Gerald Ford", and complete closure of the project to develop the strategic submarine SSBN (X). Marked variations July 14, 2011 announced the Marine Corps Gen. James Cartwright, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, United States.
If we consider the issue of aircraft carriers, the Pentagon is planning two variants of the situation: the first — much earlier move taken the time to take on armament new class of aircraft carriers, "Gerald Ford", the second — to abandon the construction of the 1st of this ship, as well as to reduce the total number of available U.S. Navy aircraft carriers. At the current time, in accordance with the current development plan, the U.S. Navy for the next 30 years, the number of aircraft carriers in service to the country in 2040 should be 11 pcs., And after the 2040-th — reduced to 10.
Regarding the design and construction of the promising class submarines SSBN(X), the Pentagon is considering a complete failure of the development project. If this is accomplished, instead of the SSBN (X) in service with the U.S. Navy will face an improved class submarines "Virginia", the construction program from which will significantly expand. According to preliminary calculations, the construction of a modified "Virginia" will cost the country $ 3.5 billion, while the price of a preparatory SSBN(X) is estimated at $ 5-7 billion Under the current plan, the creation of SSBN (X) is due to start in 2012
Now the U.S. Defense Department will initiate consultations and negotiations with the Joint Chief of Staff Committee and the command of the Navy. At the end of 2010 in the U.S. was launched large-scale campaign to reduce costs as municipal and defense budgets. For example, the administration of U.S. President instructed the Ministry of Defence issued a lower current military spending, at least, at $ 100 billion in the coming 5 years. With all of this came into effect a plan of U.S. President Barack Obama, which provides for reduction of military spending by $ 400 billion over the next 12 years.
The program development submarine SSBN (X) was launched in 2010 for submarine mines was to design a company Electric Boat, signed an agreement in December 2008, the amount of the transaction was $ 592 million. Missile silos according to the plans shall be designed in such a Makarov, so the Navy in the future could run out of them, and improved ballistic missiles.
According to the plans of the U.S. military stage of project development at all the newest submarine will begin in 2014, and the first submarine to be laid in 2019, the one-hundred percent of the work on the formation of SSBN (X) to be completed in 2026, and the first submarine was supposed to go on armament The U.S. Navy in 2029 was expected from the first-class submarines are now operating "Ohio" will be written off in 2027 then the U.S. Navy will be planned withdrawal from its own composition once a year on the same boat for 13 years.
Technical properties of promising submarine and remain unknown. Presumably, not including ballistic missiles she could have been armed with Tomahawk cruise missiles multipurpose extended range.
Carriers class "Gerald R. Ford" — a series of multi-purpose nuclear cruisers United States, the construction of which began in 2009. Made as an upgraded version of the aircraft carrier class "Nimitz" and differ from them in similar sizes and aviation armament, a significant reduction for the highest level of automation of the crew and, as a conclusion, the lowest operating costs.
As well, the introduction of new aircraft carriers differ in a number of new technologies and designs, for example, parts of the stealth technology allowing to remain inconspicuous large ship to enemy radar. Head ship laid November 14, 2009, the introduction of its operational planned for 2015. Other than it was planned to build, very small, 2-ships. As the supply of arms to the class of aircraft carriers, "Gerald R. Ford" had a hundred percent change obsolete aircraft carrier class "Nimitz" and "Enterprise."
Design features of a class of aircraft carriers, "Gerald R. Ford"
1) It is essential to change internal ship assembly and configuration of the flight deck. Used frisky reconfiguration of internal surround installation of improved equipment. For a significant reduction in the weight of the inner sections hangar reduced from 3 to 2 and the number samoletopodemnikov — from 4 to 3.
2) In a similar aircraft carriers with class "Nimitz" displacement (about 100 tons), "Gerald R. Ford" should served at least 500-900 people crew. This should be achieved by lowering the 30% labor-intensive maintenance of systems and devices, also due to the widespread introduction of automation.
3) "Gerald R. Ford" was the first ship of the U.S. Navy, one hundred percent projected in 3D-mode design, introduced "Northrop Grumman" and includes an automatic system of spatial modeling of technological processes.
4) Compared with the class of aircraft carriers, "Nimitz" must be ensured an increase in the number of sorties from 140 to 160 per day, an increase of 150% of the electricity produced for improved sverhtehnologichny systems, introduced the system of control over the current weight and stability have improved significantly the potential interactions with other ships .
5) The design of the case is actually similar to a class of aircraft carriers, "Nimitz". A small-sized deck superstructure shifted toward the stern and made for the line side. The deck is equipped with a special add-mast from composite materials. It has motionless radar with active phased array antennas (FAR), as well as the automatic approach and landing (JPALS), which uses the global positioning system (GPS). Increased flight deck, her rehabilitated 18 pt for arming and refueling aircraft.
6) Flagship apartments are designed for 70 seats in order to reduce the overall size of the add-ported specifically to the lower deck.
7) Aircraft carrier capable of carrying up to 90 aircraft and helicopters for various purposes: fighter-attack aircraft F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, aircraft carrier-based 5th generation F-35 AWACS aircraft E-2D Advanced Hawkeye, multipurpose helicopters MH-60R / S, aircraft electric anti-EA-18G, is also a martial-LTP.
As a means of defense used for self-defense ship ESSM missile armed with a new company, "Raytheon" with 2 8-container launchers, designed for every 32 missiles.
9) One of the
main technological innovation is the replacement of steam catapults C-13 at all new electrical EMALS catapult the company "General Atomics" on the basis of linear electric motors. Demo version of the catapult was first tested in Test center NASC in Lakehurst. In case of success like a catapult to provide higher flexibility of the process starter deck aircraft, to reduce the load on the aircraft and the pilots, the possibility of taking off in a more expanded range of speeds, as well as wind directions, special abilities start to BPL.
10) were expected to use the new, not previously used, turboelektricheskih arresting gear company 'General Atomics. " The tension of conventional synthetic rope arresting gear should regulated by an electric motor, which will allow for a smooth run and lack of extreme loads on the brake hook, wire rope, the plane's fuselage.
11) anew designed nuclear reactor can be operated without the need for substitution of fuel rods in 50 years. This is the first nuclear reactor, which does not require rebooting the right fuel for the entire period of service of an aircraft carrier. Capacity of the new nuclear reactor in comparison to its predecessors has increased by 25%, and labor-intensive maintenance reduced by 50%.