Hormonal contraception is for many women around the world has become a matter of very ordinary and firmly established in their lives. But what about those who are just planning to start using it? How to choose the right product for you? Anyway, if you have opportunity apply similar methods of protection? In such a delicate issue should not rely solely on the advice of friends, having a successful experience — no doubt, it is better to consult a specialist. However, you first need to understand what is hormonal contraception …
Hormonal contraceptives — are drugs that contain synthetic versions of female hormones — estrogen and progestin that prevent ovulation (the output of eggs from the ovaries), preventing the possibility of fertilization. Today, there is a rich selection of combined hormonal contraceptives. This pill, hormonal adhesive, flexible vaginal ring releasing intrauterine system, injections, implants, etc.
The most popular in our country, as well as throughout the world, are oral contraceptives, in other words, a tablet. Gaining "momentum popularity" and non-oral contraceptives, such as the vaginal ring, for example. In addition to the route of administration, there are other differences among the methods of combined hormonal contraception. Mostly, it is a mode of application, which is needed to provide protection for the choice in favor of one of them. For example, tablets are used daily. This mode is suitable for housewives and women with a good memory. Speaking of a patch, here a duration patch to increased one week — thus, during 3 months is necessary to replace a patch. Monthly regimen has hormonal ring — a month of continuous protection! This option uses the most modern women, who often do not want to be distracted from their work, urgent cases to worry about the protection and the possibility of an unplanned pregnancy.
Often, after consultation with a gynecologist combined hormonal contraceptives can be used without fear. Medical consultation is necessary in order to identify contraindications to the use of hormonal agents. If the doctor does not reveal you do not have serious health conditions, after a general inspection, you can safely discuss with the doctor you are comfortable with the method and mode of contraceptive and start application. However it is safe to call instances where the use of the combined HA is highly undesirable. Carefully review the following list:
- You are 35 years old or more and you smoke
- You are breast-feeding, and after last birth was less than 6 months
- You do not feed your baby, but after the last birth was less than 3 weeks
- Your blood pressure (BP) more 140/90 mm. Hg. Art. (That is, you have hypertension)
- Have you had a stroke earlier (bleeding in the brain), a heart attack or coronary artery disease, valvular heart disease (pulmonary hypertension, bacterial endocarditis, etc.)
- You were previously deep vein thrombophlebitis and / or pulmonary embolism
- Severe headaches (migraines) with visual impairment
- Severe headaches (migraine) without impairment, but are over 35 years old
- You had a viral hepatitis (jaundice), and it took less than three months after recovery
- You had a viral hepatitis (jaundice), and indicators of liver function is abnormal (You take tests and being watched by a physician, infectious disease or hepatologist)
- You there is cirrhosis of the liver or any tumor
- Do you have a disease of the gall bladder and bile ducts (cholelithiasis, cholecystitis, etc.) that bother you and require medication
- Did you have jaundice (cholestasis) using hormonal contraceptives before
- Diabetes mellitus (more than 20 years duration and / or the presence of vascular complications and / or renal disease, eyes, central nervous system)
- Breast Cancer previously and / or currently
- You are taking anticonvulsants (eg phenytoin, carbamazepine, barbiturates, etc.) or tuberculosis (rifampin) drugs
- You have a special survey has ever been identified gene mutations (changes in genes), indicating the likelihood of increased blood clotting
If at least one of the items you've found the coincidence of their situation, then, unfortunately, the use of any combined hormonal contraceptive, you contraindicated.
However, it is necessary that your problem will be completely different from the one of the above — then to determine the suitability requires further investigation. More to learn in detail about all the nuances of hormonal contraceptives, as well as ask a question Shows here.
In conclusion, I want to encourage you to always be careful and thoughtful! In such sensitive issues is always better to rely on expert opinion rather than on the advice of friends. Be attentive to yourself and your health!