In the fuel tank — the air? In fact, why not. After all, conventional engines of cars running on gasoline, is very simple.
In the combustion chamber is fed fuel mixture, which is expanding at ignition, pushing the piston. Further work piston with a variety of different mechanisms is transmitted to the wheels.
If the mixture does not burn fuel, and create pressure that will push the piston using compressed air? It is quite possible. Absolutely no difference that will push the piston, above the wheels began to turn.
Thus, no fundamental limitations to convert the internal combustion engine in its pneumatic counterpart. Moreover, throughout the history of motoring, such attempts have repeatedly been made.
One of the first patents for the use of compressed air as a "mover" wagon issued in the UK in 1799. In XIX century, tried to equip the air motor trams, locomotives, cars. Most stayed on the pneumatic railway, some British trains used this engine for 30 years.
Vehicles with compressed air used for traffic Pneumoengines, which is used as fuel, stored in tanks, and air. Such a drive is called air. In it instead of burning a mixture of air and fuel and the subsequent transfer of power pistons, pistons generate energy using compressed air. Received a complaint from one of the manufacturers that have started to develop an air motor with 90% efficiency.
1. The main advantage of the use of compressed air as a fuel can be called environmentally friendly. For refueling the car using a regular air. Chilled. Thus, the air-conditioned for this car will be a simple blown "exhaust" pipe.
2. Greatly simplify the design of this engine in comparison with gasoline engine. Eliminates the need for storage of flammable liquids, there is no need to pull the wiring design complex ignition system. The power plant for these cars — this tank of compressed air, the interim arrangements applying appropriate portions of air, as well as a work area, which houses the turbine. Practical nothing to break, such a system has phenomenal reliability. A commonly used to fuel electric compressor, which compresses air from the atmosphere and produce its injection into the tank
3. And, of course, phenomenally low cost "fuel" for air vehicles is also not in last place.
On the dignity of such cars is over, it's time to talk about the shortcomings.
The principal problem can be called that air compressed to 300 bar, and this is the standard for today's automotive fuel stations, carries only 1% of the energy that is high-octane gasoline. But at low temperatures, this energy is even smaller. Hence the looming problem.
1. Low speed. Record, which was recorded in the Guinness Book of Records for air vehicles, is 129.2 kilometers per hour.
2. Low power. In modern pneumatic maximum power is only 75 hp
3. Small cruising range on one tank. Although received a statement from the company "General Motors" that its new air-Concept Cadillac Aera will drive about 1,600 kilometers on one tank, documentary evidence is not received. To date, the "long-range" pnevmobil can travel on one tank of about 200 kilometers.
But it is not all bad. The market lacking niches that do not need high power, speed and "range." They are already equipped pnevmobilyami. For example, the leadership of the major airports in France adopted a program for the purchase of pneumatic transport to take passengers to nearby hotels. Already, these cars are used in businesses and stores, working with flammable materials. Immediately dangerous to use even electric transportation, as the slightest spark could cause an explosion of enormous power.
A similar environmental transport attention of the authorities in Mexico City, which is the most polluted city in the world. Since 2010, the city gradually transferred all city taxis on "air thrust." And in Australia, all vehicles in the park Melbourne Pneumomotors use.
And that's not all. In 2008, the Indian automobile company "Tata" reported the start of the project for the production of a "people's car", the use of compressed air. And the Indians did not develop its own car, and just got proven design from French company «MDI», based test engineer engine Formula 1 Guy Negre.
Similar machine, OneCat, is already available as a city taxi in France. Such a vehicle cruising range of about 200 kilometers in urban traffic. It can carry four passengers. Maximum speed — about 110 km / h In the production of tanks used special technology they explode and break up in the accident. The declared cost — $ 5,000, which makes it almost a full competitor to gasoline vehicles.
The construction of plants for the production or assembly screwdriver pnevmobiley in Mexico, Spain, South Africa and Australia. Apparently, the automotive world is on the threshold "air" of the revolution.