Onset of the disease
The disease begins acutely, often with the rise of temperature and malaise, usually after hypothermia or contact with a carrier of infection, which is transmitted by coughing, sneezing, and through everyday objects — cups, spoons, toys.
In children streptococcal angina may start with a sharp rise in temperature without any pain in the throat and redness of the tonsils, which appear on the following day. Supercooling there may be absent.
The main symptoms
The main symptom of tonsillitis is any pain in the throat, worse when swallowing. Other symptoms depend largely on the type of pathogen infection: the virus, streptococcus or other bacteria. Young children who can not complain of a sore throat, often refuse to eat.
Typical symptoms of strep throat:
- Chills, fever, suddenly appeared.
- Increasing the temperature to 38 — 39? C in adults 40 — 41? C in children.
- Sore throat — can appear on the second day after the temperature or the right.
- Difficulty swallowing, pain when swallowing.
- Weakness, malaise
Acute streptococcal tonsillitis never accompanied by a cough and runny nose.
Viral tonsillitis and a part of one of the components of SARS. If the cause of the disease — a virus, a sore throat may occur following the typical symptoms of the common cold.
Differences viral tonsillitis:
- A sore throat is accompanied by a runny nose and / or cough
Changes in the tonsils
On examination of the pharynx is determined redness throat, back of the throat and tonsils. Enlarged tonsils and the presence in them of white raids depends on the stage of the disease and the agent:
- In viral tonsillitis without bacterial complications tonsils are red, raids, usually not.
- In bacterial tonsillitis tonsils dramatically increased, may cover up to half of the lumen of the pharynx, they have white raid.
- Punctulata white raid speaks of tonsillitis
- Rich raid, covering the entire surface of the tonsils, says lacunar angina.
- Incursions yellow-gray in color, combined with a very high fever and severe weakness, can speak about diphtheria angina.
Also in acute tonsillitis increased submandibular lymph nodes, the patient felt on the under side of the lower jaw. Often, they are painful, they are talking about an increase in inflammation in the throat.
If the sore throat is difficult to move the neck, and it swells, it may indicate an abscess paratonsillar — suppurative complication of tonsillitis.
Diphtheria is different from streptococcal sore throat and a viral fever, very poor health patient, strong grayish-yellow coating in the throat and sometimes shortness of breath (especially in children).
In chronic tonsillitis, unlike acute temperature may be normal or slightly elevated (37 — 37.5? C). This disease is characterized by a longer course and frequent exacerbations.
The exact form of the pathogen, which is caused by angina, You can install by making a throat swab. Depending on the type of infection can be very different approaches to the treatment of a sore throat.
Angina, caused by mycoplasma and chlamydia may be associated with bronchitis and pneumonia.