Tumors of the adrenal gland — a focal proliferation of cells of adrenal glands. Most of these tumors are benign, and they occur infrequently.
The causes of adrenal tumors are unknown. Presumably, a role played by heredity.
What's going on?
The adrenal glands produce hormones that regulate metabolism, blood pressure, as well as the male and female sex hormones. The main clinical manifestations of adrenal tumors depend on what kind of hormone it produces in excess.
With tumors of the adrenal gland are the following symptoms:
1. Increased blood pressure. It is noted for:
- Tumors producing hormone aldosterone, which is responsible for the mineral metabolism — aldosteronoma. In addition to high blood pressure, a person may experience interruptions disturb the heart, muscle weakness, frequent urge to urinate at night.
- Tumor that produces increased amounts of adrenaline and noradrenaline — pheochromocytoma. Blood pressure episodic increases. The frequency of attacks varied: from
a day to a few months. Concerned about the headache, sweating, anxiety, irritability, palpitations, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, chest, paleness or redness of the face. 10-15
2. Violation of sexual development — premature sexual development in boys and girls, or, conversely, its delay. It is noted in tumors that produce sex hormones.
3. Changing the appearance of men and women. The women — deepening of the voice, excessive hair growth on the body (face, chest), cessation of menstruation, breast reduction, sometimes baldness. In men, the main symptom — breast enlargement (gynecomastia). It also reduces facial hair growth, reduced sexual desire and potency. It is noted in tumors that produce sex hormones.
Diagnosis and treatment
- The study of hormones in the adrenal venous blood and urine. If there are paroxysmal pressure rises, blood and urine samples collected during the better attack or immediately after it.
- In some cases it is necessary to carry out special tests. The essence of the sample in the following: the need to donate blood on hormones, and then to take the medicine and soon to be tested again (sample with captopril).
- Sometimes the sample mean blood pressure before and after treatment (thropaphen test, tyramine and clonidine).
- More accurately determine the content of the adrenal hormones in the blood allows selective catheterization nalpochechnikovyh veins.
- To estimate the size of the adrenal glands using ultrasound, computed tomography (CT) or
- The main treatment is surgery — removal of the adrenal gland (adrenalectomy).
- In cases of cancer after surgery to radiation therapy and to take special drugs.
After performing the surgery often prescribe hormone replacement therapy — chronic administration of synthetic adrenal hormones.