In Moscow 1.3 times increased incidence of animal rabies

MOSCOW, June 28 — RIA Novosti. The incidence of animal rabies in the suburbs grew in January-May 2011, by 1.3 times compared to the same period last year, but cases of human rabies have been recorded, said on Tuesday Rospotrebnadzor Moscow region.

"In January-May 2011 in the Moscow area rabies cases among humans is not registered (in the whole of the Russian Federation — four in Moscow, Tver, Astrakhan and Orenburg regions)," — said in a statement.

According to the Department, for five months in 2011, the number of outbreaks of rabies in animals has increased compared to the same period in 2010 by 1.3 times (81 cases in 23 municipalities and 61 cases in 19 municipalities, respectively).

The highest number of cases registered in the Klin (12 cases), Istra (10 cases) and Naro-Fominsk (7 cases) regions. As in previous years, the main incidence in wild animals — 79%, the remaining 21% — at home.

"For five months in 2011 of requests about animal bites decreased by 15% (9.357 thousand for five months in 2011 and 10.473 thousand for five months in 2010), including over bites by wild animals has decreased by 40% (136 cases per five months of 2011 and 188 cases in the first five months of 2010) "- specified in the material.

According to the management, mostly from animal bites population suffers Ruza municipal area, the rate — 252.2 per 100 thousand population, with an average in the region — 139.8. Bites from wild animals most often recorded in Zaraisk municipal area, the rate — 9.75 per 100 thousand population, with an average in the region — 2.03.

Rabies — natural focal viral infection of animals and humans, occurring mainly among mammals of the family dog, and transmits them to the people, usually through a bite and less by oslyuneniya. In humans, the disease is characterized by seizures, pharyngeal and respiratory muscles, which are subsequently replaced by paralysis leading to death.

Like this post? Please share to your friends: