Avebury — Temple of the Sun. 2100 BC

England — not less mysterious country than Egypt or China. The number of megalithic structures are very high, and Stonehenge is not the most ambitious. I present to you Avebury — A ring of 27 megaliths (originally there were 98 here!).

Avebury Ring on the cards.

Once upon a time, back in the 2600-1600 years BC, Avebury was the Temple of the Sun. Avebury stone ring is older and bigger than the famous Stonehenge. It is the largest prehistoric monument in Europe, and perhaps in the world. The area is more than 28 acres — on its territory to easily fit 250,000 people. In 1633, writer John Aubrey wrote a letter to King Charles II to the proposal to visit this mysterious place, which "… is so superior to his majesty the famous Stonehenge, as far superior to the cathedral parish church."

The monument is located in the English county of Wiltshire, representing the earth mound 450 m in diameter and 8 m high, inside which is a trench depth of about 10 m within the ring ditch constructed of blocks of stone, some weighing up to forty tons. Although up to now survived only 27 of these blocks, there were originally 98. Inside the outer ring were two smaller, each consisting of about thirty stones. Many of the blocks were split in the XVIII century, the construction of Avebury village, located within this massive structure.

It is still not possible to restore an exact plan structure. We only know that there is a stone "alley" that leads to the Sanctuary on Overton Hill. It has a width of 15 m and a length of five miles. Presumably there is a second avenue that should be leading in the opposite direction. In the spring of 1999, researchers Dave Wheatley, Mark Gillings and Josh Pollard found a previously unknown stone slabs. They most likely were part Bekhemptonskoy alley. And also confirmed that the "disappeared" of the road still existed. This hypothesis was first put forward the researcher Stukeley. Bekhemptonskuyu alley once considered just a figment of the imagination until it is confirmed by archaeological excavations. Construction, according to the researchers, was like a snake in its form, while the second alley, believable snake on his way twice bent. Some researchers believe that there were only four lanes, and that they are iconic of a Celtic cross.

All rings were built of stone and wood. Most likely, at the very center was a statue of the god and worshiped by the ancient people. They carried the statue of the deity on the main street and put in the middle of the circle, and then perform religious rites often include a sacrifice. Alley also been created for entertainment events, which were part of a religious celebration.

Boulders installed after sacrifice or burial. Thus, in the X century literacy states there that it is here were conducted burial. In our time, in this place were found the remains of the ancient people who were buried at the base of the four blocks of stone.

At Avebury stones are of different shapes: from the phallic to the diamond. All this makes it possible to believe that the ancient people made here fertility rites. If the old woman wanted to get pregnant, then they certainly had to sit on a chair Devil — the largest stone — then their wishes come true.

Researchers have proven the theory that it is here performed burial of people who lived in the Bronze Age. Christian church built near Avebury in 634 years. But the problem was the popularity of pagan beliefs, which embodied the monument of Avebury. To the Christian faith supplanted paganism in the XIV century. Church attempted to destroy the ring. Part of the pit covered with earth, stones buried or knocked down. This further helped save the stones from complete destruction during construction work carried out on Eyvberi.Pozzhe boulders dug up again and put in their place. Also, the skeleton was found the man pinned huge stone during the works.

For the first time in detail stone ring was investigated by William Stukeley. He decided to make a description of the monument, knowing that soon want to destroy the monument. Dr. Stukeley studied ancient cultures and apply their knowledge by exploring Avebury. He noted in his research that the ancient monument combines the symbol of the serpent and the sun, such as those that the ancient Egyptians called the symbols of wisdom, high ideals and truths.

With one of the archeologists here and there was a mystical story altogether. Edith Oliver in October 1916 would climb the hill, but suddenly I saw at the bottom of the fair. Olivier later wrote the book "Not knowing Mr. Wakeley." In it the writer portrayed the modest homes, swing towering huge blocks of Avebury. But they did not pay attention to the locals as if they were not here. Later, the writer was surprised to learn that the fair in Avebury are not held since 1850. All this she just imagined it in a mirage. Such paranormal phenomena occur here often. In the summer of 1966 Mrs. Harris catch a glimpse of someone who looked like a tramp. Soon, the ghost disappeared into thin air.

Stone Band attracts not only mystics and researchers, but also crowds of curious tourists who enjoy visiting the picturesque surroundings of Avebury.

http

Watch The megaliths of Avebury — Megaliths of Avebury in 2100 BC

(930)

Like this post? Please share to your friends: