Dupuytren's contracture (synonym — palmar fibromatosis) — Painless umbilicus degeneration and shortening of palmar tendons, leading to flexion deformity and loss of hand function. Contracture Dupuytren's manifest violation of the ability to straighten the fingers, nodular thickening of the skin on the palms.
Symptoms and Diagnosis
Symptoms of Dupuytren's contracture:
- on the skin of the palms appear nodules and seals;
- bands appear under the skin that slowly and gradually thicken;
- fingers tightened cords, bad unbend;
- Dupuytren's contracture in marked decreases the sensitivity of the fingers.
Methods of diagnosis of Dupuytren's contracture:
- examination of a surgeon, orthopedist;
- radiography of hand.
Diseases with similar symptoms:
- tenosynovitis — inflammation of the tendons;
- tumor brush.
In this disease is degeneration of the palmar fascia umbilicus — plates of connective tissue that is located subcutaneously on the hand. The disease develops gradually through several levels:
- the first power in the palm of the hand appear nodules and cords, fingers move normally;
- with second-degree fingers tightened cords and bent at the metacarpophalangeal joints and 90 degrees;
- in the third degree — fingers are bent at an angle greater than 90 degrees, bad move, their sensitivity decreases, the skin on the palm of crack — like parchment.
- immobility of the fingers, "freezing" of the joints;
- irreversible decrease in the sensitivity of fingers.
Weather. Without treatment, the disease progresses. With timely surgical treatment (at 1 and 2 degrees) can be completely restore the function of the brush.
Causes and Prevention
In most cases contracture Contracture occurs in men over 45 years old, there is some genetic predisposition, are important factors such as chronic trauma and violation of the trophic brushes. Often occurs in alcoholism. The exact cause of Dupuytren's contracture is still unknown. Preventing the development of Dupuytren's contracture is to remove brush microtrauma, wearing protective gloves.
Treatment of Dupuytren's contracture has been an orthopedic surgeon. Conservative treatment in the early stages of Dupuytren's contracture, including massage, physiotherapy, physical therapy, correction of the situation by a bus or a cast, warm baths.
Surgical treatment in the early stages allows you to fully restore the function of the brush. When the initial degree of Dupuytren's contracture is usually performed partial excision of the palmar fascia, in severe cases — total.