This is one of the few eye diseases, which can be identified even without the help of a specialist. Strabismus — a condition that is characterized by a deviation of one or both eye from the central axis, the human eye is not looking in the same direction as necessary, and in various. As a result, opinion can not focus on the subject under consideration.
Most often, strabismus develops in children
Strabismus may be the result of:
- trauma and infectious diseases of the brain;
- inflammatory, vascular or neoplastic changes in the ocular muscles;
- incorrect or untimely compensated nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism;
- congenital diseases or birth defects;
- increased mental and physical exertion;
- non-visual loadings children.
What's going on?
There are two forms of strabismus — friendly and paralytic. In the case of concomitant strabismus mows then left, then right eye, and the magnitude of the deviation from the central axis is about the same. This type of strabismus is associated most often with features of the device eyes, inherited and manifested mainly in children.
Paralytic strabismus occurs due to deterioration of the oculomotor muscles, or due to disease
- converges (often associated with hyperopia) when one deviates from the eye to the nose;
- divergent (often associated with myopia) when one deviates from the eye to the temple;
- vertical when the eye squints up or down.
Most likely, the first to notice the surrounding strabismus, for example, the child's parents or peers in kindergarten or school. Adult hint that he
Strabismus, has developed in childhood can affect the formation of the child's mind. Children disturbed perception of the world, could slow physical and mental development. Strabismus is a common complication Amblyopia ("lazy eye")— A sharp drop of at squinted eye as a result of the lack of visual load on the muscles of the eye.
Diagnosis and treatment
The diagnosis of strabismus is only set
Treatment of strabismus is desirable to begin as early as possible, as the disease never goes alone. On average, it takes
Begin to struggle with strabismus correction available with visual impairment: nearsightedness or farsightedness, astigmatism. From an early age the child wear glasses. You need to wear them continuously for long periods of time — to reduce the symptoms of strabismus. Another important part of the treatment — perform special exercises aimed at the creation of the workload on the weakened muscle groups squinting eyes.
With the development of Amblyopia may require the wearing of glasses, one glass of which sealed. In this case, worse seeing eye is under constant stress, "trainee" weakened eye muscles. Such treatment is carried out for a long time and requires constant medical supervision.
Surgery indicated in cases of paralytic strabismus, as well as the ineffectiveness of the therapeutic treatment of concomitant strabismus. In children it is often conducted in aged
Prevention of strabismus is:
- compliance with the rules of visual stress in children (toys not hang too close to the eyes, etc.);
- Early examination of the child by an ophthalmologist to detect strabismus and other eye diseases;
- timely treatment of ocular diseases.