Gorodets — the city and the administrative center of Gorodetsky District of Nizhny Novgorod Oblast, Russia, located on the left bank of the Volga River, 53 km north-west of Nizhny Novgorod.
Population: 30 699 (2010 г.)
Gorodets was founded in 1152 by Prince Yuri Dolgoruky as a fortress on the Volga. This was the starting point for many hikes princes of Vladimir and Suzdal on the Volga Bulgars. In 1239 the town was burned army of Batu, but was quickly restored, and between the years 1263 and 1282 became the capital of the principality Gorodetsky. Later Gorodets was part of Suzdal-Nizhegorodskre grand duchy.
From the 19th century Gorodets known for its decorative crafts such as wood carving and painting.
In 1922, it became the administrative center of Gorodets Gorodetsky County (later Gorodetsky district).
Traditional sectors of local industry — shipbuilding (shipyards, ship repair plant), woodworking, arts and crafts (factories Gorodetsk painting and embroidery, stitching, printing company for baking cakes) and the processing of agricultural products (milk of "Milk" RAYPO, etc.) . The city was first built in the history of modern Russian cruise ship "Sura". In recent years, has received development and production of automotive components (wiring).
Gorodetsky Provincial College (since September 1, 2011. Appeared by combining Gorodetsky agricultural college and Gorodetsky Teachers College).
Gorodets is known not only as the oldest city in the Nizhny Novgorod region, the center of folk art (wood carving, painting), but as a museum city. He is the only cities in the region has its own museum quarter. Central to it are the National History Museum (str, 11). Next to him, and the surrounding streets of Andrei Rublev, the revolution and the Alexander Quay waterfront are still a number of museums:
"The Children’s Museum at the Merchants’
"Museum" Gorodetsky carrot "
"Museum" House of Countess Panina "
"The museum of samovars"
"City of Masters"
"The Museum of goodness"
"The museum of samovars"
September 8, 2007 in Gorodets opened a museum of samovars. The exposition of the museum is located in the estate Grishaeva, which is a monument of architecture of the XIX century.
The collection of samovars was head of the private collection of the Federal Tax Service of the Nizhny Novgorod region Nikolai Fedorovich Polyakov
His collection includes about 400 of samovars and is considered the largest in Russia. As part of a temporary exhibition is still 312 samovars (in May 2008), and is constantly updated.
Gorodets has long been famous cakes, which are produced in the course of several centuries. Production gingerbread extinct after the revolution is underway again. At the moment, the main producer of carrots is "Gorodetsky pastry" (also known under the brand name "Leuven — Love, Faith, Hope").
During the years of Soviet power Gorodtsa all churches were closed, and some of them completely destroyed. In the 1990s, the restoration of the churches. Today, the city has the Orthodox churches of the Archangel Michael (1707), Spassky (1752), Basil (1824), the Old Believers (ancient Orthodox) Church of the Assumption of the Virgin, Holy Cross Church Edinoverie restored. In 2009 the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill consecrated renewed Gorodetsky male Theodore Monastery. Since the mid XX century exists in the city and the community of Christians-Baptists.
The monument to Alexander Nevsky, who died in his cell Gorodetsky Feodorovsky monastery autumn 1236.
The five-domed cathedral Feodorovsky Gorodetsky monastery built in 1765 was closed in 1927 and demolished a few years later. Recreated in the original form in 2009.
Floating hotel "Bereginya"
In December 2009, in Gorodets open complex "City of Masters". Chopped wood buildings, designed in the style of Russian architecture, coupled transitions into one and allow staying at home, visit the shops on national art crafts and two showrooms crafts.
Gorodetskaya painting — Russian folk art craft. There is a middle of the XIX century in the town of Gorodets. The bright, concise Gorodetskaya painting (genre scenes, figurines of horses, roosters, floral patterns), made free smear with white and black graphic stroke, decorated spinning wheel, furniture, shutters and doors.