June 24. / Correspondent. Itar-Tass Mikhalchanka /
Nuclear-powered icebreaker "Yamal", on board of which are employees of scientific equipment and evacuated the station "North Pole-40", moored at the ice floe near Cape Baranova relating to the Severnaya Zemlya archipelago to drop a group of scientists here. They will reopen ice base at Cape Baranov, where in the 80-ies of XX century observations were made of the state of the oceans.
According to the correspondent. ITAR-TASS head of the center of the ice hydrometeorological information Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute Sergei Brestkin, scientists moved to canned observation station ATV. Within this group, the scientists who worked on the drifting station "North Pole-40", as well as participants in a rescue mission. Their task is to deploy large-scale observations of ice, water and the atmosphere at high latitudes, but the nature of the observations, this work will be different from the one that led the staff "SP-40".
Other employees of the polar station "SP-40" and members of the rescue party continued their journey on the icebreaker "Yamal" in the direction of Murmansk, where on arrival will fly to St. Petersburg. The need to evacuate the station "North Pole-40" for three months before the scheduled termination date of her work arose from the cracks that split the ice floe on which the drifting station, and the inability to move the station its own employees.
Cape Baranov on the island of Bolshevik Severnaya Zemlya archipelago, opened 100 years ago, on August 22 / September 4/1913, hydrographic expedition under Boris Celebes. The aim of the expedition, which lasted from 1910 to 1915, has been laying the Northern Sea Route from Arkhangelsk and St. Petersburg to Vladivostok, passing the warm seas and straits. For this purpose built two icebreaker "Taimyr" and "Vaygach" summer came out of Vladivostok in the northern seas for their detailed examination. Aug. 21 team icebreaker "Taimyr" has found a domed island with steep banks. August 22 it was set state flag of the Russian Empire.
Originally the name of the open group of islands, the expedition was given by the first syllables of the names of icebreakers — TayVay, but quickly changed their minds and named the archipelago of Emperor Nicholas II After the October Revolution was an attempt to rename the archipelago to the Land of Lenin, but in 1926 the Central Executive Committee settled on a neutral name — North Earth.
In December 2006, the Duma of the Taimyr Autonomous District adopted a resolution on the return of the historical name of the group of islands — Earth Emperor Nicholas II, and the islands, it was decided to give the names of members of the royal family: Small Taimyr — Tsarevich Alexei, the island of the October Revolution — Alexandra St., Bolshevik Island — St. Olga , Komsomolets Island — St. Mary’s, Pioneer Island — St. Tatiana, Island Home — St. Anastasia. However, after the unification of Taimyr / Dolgan-Nenets / Autonomous District of the Krasnoyarsk Territory Legislative Assembly of the Federation combined did not support the idea of renaming.
Name of the discoverer of Severnaya Zemlya Boris Vilkitski not been erased from the map — Strait and Celebes today separates outdoor navigator Archipelago from the mainland.
Cape Baranov on the island of Bolshevik Severnaya Zemlya archipelago, opened 100 years ago, on August 22 (September 4), 1913, hydrographic expedition under Boris Celebes.