Often it is not clear what the scientists involved. That’s about the academics from the UK a lot of talk — every day in the news what some funny message about the new study. And about the science of the Russian media in general did not really can not say. Moreover constantly present communiques on the subject, saying "they’ve taken up the scientific experience of the Soviet past .. well, and everything prestavlyayuschie" NANO ".
It’s not all true statements, and often they are related to the fact that journalists simply do not understand basic science. And the average citizen does not understand. Well, the release of hundreds of millions, well, increase the RFP, and that there is a yes — no one actually did not understand.
For example, only a part of the statistics of the "unknown" to us from the Russian Academy of Sciences (Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences) http://www.nsc.ru/ for 2011:
1. At the Institute of Nuclear Physics, Budker created the world’s first source of negative hydrogen ions with a fixed beam current of 25 mA, which are modeled by the basic laws of the beam formation in a unit cell of the future high-current injector of high energy neutral atoms (~ 1 MeV) for fusion applications
2. ibid .. electron-positron collider VEPP-2000 reached a record value "parameter of colliding beams" and conducted an experiment with two detectors SND and CMD-3 in the energy range 1000-2000 MeV with an integrated luminosity record
3. there .. designed, manufactured and tested successfully installing high-voltage electron cooling of the proton beam from the record pace of cooling for the German drive COSY (Juelich, Germany) (Figure)
4. there .. successfully tested at the synchrotron radiation source ALBA-CELLS (Spain) designed and built in the Institute of Nuclear Physics SB RAS unique 119-pole superconducting wiggler with a record brightness of radiation in the X-ray range (Figure)
5. At the Institute of High Current Electronics for installation "Solo" for the first time achieved a multiple (up to 3.5 times) increase the fatigue life of austenitic and martensitic grades of surface treatment material dense low-energy electron beam submillisecond duration and revealed the physical mechanisms of this phenomenon, consisting in grinding grain and subgrain structure, and re-dissolving submicron isolation nanoparticles uniformly distributed carbide phase.
6. At the Institute of Semiconductor Physics im.A. B. Rzhanova new approach to the management of the process of nucleation and growth of quantum dots by forming a ring chains composed of quantum dots, and the subsequent formation of SiGe nanometer structures in the form of rings (Figure). Calculation of the energy spectrum of carrier showed that similar structures can be used as working elements receivers terahertz and infrared radiation.
7. At the Institute of Laser Physics, first proposed a revolutionary method significantly (up to three orders of its magnitude) suppression of the frequency shift "time" of transition in an atom or ion associated with the thermal radiation of the environment (taknazyvaemy «blackbody radiation shift»). Currently, the ILP in conjunction with the Physical-Technical Institute (PTB, Braunschweig, Germany) is working on the creation of 171Yb + optical frequency standard with stability 10-16-10-17 (Figure)
AU, YOU STILL HERE!? Such proposals, conceptual developments, discoveries and 4.5 thousand only in CO wound for 2009 to 2011.
8. At the Institute of Automation and electrometry designed and manufactured laser field gravity meter "GAEL-PM" with dimensions of 45? 50? 93 cm and a weight of 60 kg (Figure)
9. At the Institute of Semiconductor Physics. Rzhanov developed a series of devices based on the matrix of uncooled microbolometer detectors: a thermal imaging camera with enhanced functionality and an image displayed on small-size LCD screen
(Fig. 1). Experienced helmet-mounted device for capturing images in low visibility conditions (smoke, mist, powder gases) has been tested in real conditions for the emergency services and other ministries and departments.
10. The Institute of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. Khristianovich first demonstrated the feasibility of controlling the flow in the air intake with a high-voltage electric discharge surface and study the effect of this process on the integral characteristics of the air intake (Figure a, b). It is shown that the surface discharge plasma significantly alters the location of the shock wave and the flow structure on the outer surfaces of compression air intake.
11 The staff of the Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine, together with scientists from the Institute of Molecular Biology. Engelhardt clarified key aspects of the termination of protein synthesis at the ribosome person associated with the recognition of stop signals in mRNA translation termination factor eRF1. Installed peptides eRF1, interacting with purines stop codons, and it is shown that the remains of adenine and guanine are recognized by different conformations N-domain eRF1, providing the ability to recognize all three factors stop codon (Fig.)
12. At the Institute of Catalysis. GKBoreskov developed in conjunction with the Institute of Inorganic Chemistry. AV Nikolaev for hydrogen energy developed and AuPd/C- PdPtRu / C-catalyst and hydrogen-oxygen layouts and methanol fuel cells show that the specific catalytic activity in the oxidation reaction of pure hydrogen or hydrogen mixed with SB (0.013 and 0 , 11% vol.) is not inferior to the activity of commercial systems based on platinum, and in some cases exceeds it. It is also shown that the anode catalysts PdPtRu / C is not
inferior to the activity in the electrooxidation of methanol commercial catalyst PtRu / C (Figure).
12. The Institute of Chemistry of Solid State jointly with the Institute of Inorganic Chemistry. AV Nikolaev, and the Institute of Nuclear Physics. Budker developed radiation-thermal meth
ods for nanohornov with high adsorption capacity. For the first time in the world will reach the size of the agglomerates nanohornov ~ 200 nm (Figure)
13 Scientists of the Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine, found that immunoglobulins (IgG and IgM) blood of HIV-infected patients, specifically hydrolyzing enzyme HIV integrase, responsible for the integration of viral cDNA into the genome of human cells, significantly inhibited the reaction catalyzed by integrase 3?-Processing and integration — the key stages of the viral life cycle (Fig.). Preparations of IgG and IgM antibodies from the blood of HIV-infected patients may slow the progression of the disease and considered as potential drugs.
14. The staff of the Institute of Cytology and Genetics, Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine and NIITO shown that induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) are efficiently directed to differentiate into chondroblasts that form a three-dimensional culture conditions in vitro functional cartilage tissue suitable for use in regenerative medicine (Figure .)
..etc. etc. .. I could go on, but it takes too many resources of our brain with you ..
The issue of developments in the application? Well, as laid down in the above-described technology for medicine, construction, microelectronics, aircraft and other things .. In Russia there is a strong scientific school — want to be part of it!? Then welcome to the technical institutes.