Growing up a child — an individual process, and milestones along the way is quite conventional. Especially it refers to the time weaning baby from the breast. There are virtually no laws and regulations. Everyone in the determination of this phase is based on their views. Some feel that the "age came up," other moms are guided by peer kid wants a third, finally, to rebuild the shape.
Today, many pediatricians recommend breastfeed for as long as there is milk. So try to pay less attention to what they are doing and what other people say. Let your most important reference point is your own child, and his choice. Some children will refuse the breast, but there are very few.
According to the WHO, and for the mother and for the baby is a physiological continued breastfeeding up to 1,
One of the reasons for weaning, fortunately rare, can become an emergency — a sudden illness and / or hospitalization of the mother. For diseases in which breastfeeding is contraindicated include:
- suppurative mastitis (inflammation of the mammary gland)
- active tuberculosis,
- other severe infections (scarlet fever, diphtheria, etc.)
cardiovascularsystem, liver and kidneys in the stage of decompensation when irreversibly violated their structure and function,
- diabetes mellitus.
Severe disease in the mother accumulate toxins and / or disease-causing germs. Moreover, as a rule, such diseases require coupon potent drugs which are able to penetrate into breast milk and ingested crumbs. If disease mom is going to be short-lived, as a child less than a year, much more than six months, it makes sense to use a regular hand or breast pump breast pump to keep the milk to continue feeding after recovery.
How to tune in to the process
First of all, prepare yourself psychologically. Whatever the motives that prompted you to stop breastfeeding, the need to take this as a fact. No need to feel sorry for "poor kiddie" which forced "deprived mom." Needless to represent himself in the role of
So please be first determined. Try to treat the child, who have a difficult time, not with pity, but with understanding and respect. Yes, the "transition period" could spell the tears and moods, but do not treat them tragic. They are always accompanied by important changes in the child's life, and are not indicative of only suffering baby. Show all kind that you understand the feelings of the crumbs and share them, but do not go with them on occasion. Toddlers are known to be terrible cunning. One only has time to give up the slack — and the child instantly take advantage of "breach." So please mind — and do not change horses in midstream.
At once or gradually?
Tricks of the Trade
- If the child reacted negatively to your attempt to offer him a bottle, ask
someonefrom relatives to feed the baby for you. It is possible that a "foreign" hands he react to this with great approval. This fully applies to the night feedings, if you do not plan to keep them. Especially because the association with sleep are usually more persistent, and the retreat of them can be perceived more seriously. Let the baby's daddy is better suited or grandmother is not feeling the smell of your milk, toddler would rather taste the formula from a bottle.
- To introduce an unfamiliar taste crumb mixture can first treat it with a spoon.
- For some kids is very important feeding place. It is possible that in an environment that does not associate it with breastfeeding (eg in another room) it is more sympathetic consideration to the bottle.
- If a child persistently demands chest, abandoning the bottle will not help anything, except his own perseverance. Cheat. Give him the opportunity to give this time, but when he is hungry enough again, it is likely to accept "a surrogate mother's" less hostile.
- A child at this moment more than ever we need your kindness and affection: he needs to make sure that it is weaned from the breast only, and not from the mother as a whole. For example, at night, when your child comes to be screaming, trying to convince you to step back from their own bans, you can shake it on your hands, walk with him around the room and sing a lullaby, even if you do not normally rocking him to sleep. Stage and therefore deemed to be new, which requires giving up the old rules. You can try to shift the focus on baby
anythingOther interest his flashlight, prominent in the night lights, or cars. The main thing — do not let him get stuck on their own negative emotions.
- Weaning baby receiving breast in the evening and at night, is not fundamentally different from the other weaning (see paras. 1 and 5), that is better if with the bottle to the child of the night will go well
anyoneother. If baby will be hard to refuse, show persistence, while trying to somethingdivert the crumbs (see the lanterns, etc.).
If your child is already more than a year, perhaps, it makes no sense to translate it into a mixture of night feedings. If you have finally decided to separate him from the breast, then it is better to teach and to sleep through the night without waking up for "snacking". In this age of nocturnal feeding in terms of physiology is not needed, and saved more as a habit associated with stereotypes of sleep and sleep. If you are breastfeeding they have at least
A few words about my mother
When you're weaning, to your own body and it takes time to rebuild and stopped producing milk. Predict how this will take place during from you is almost impossible. There is some correlation: the less my mother have any problems during the start of breast-feeding, that is, the better, "tweaked" her individual physiological mechanisms, the easier the process will be reversed.
If you're staying on the gradual weaning, your breasts will also gradually g
et used to the decrease of the "load" and will slow down the process of generating the milk. Chest the first time will be hard. Try to find a middle ground: on the one hand, the increase in pressure in adenomere most effectively inhibits the further production of milk, on the other hand to bring the matter to a serious engorgement is not worth it. Decant slowly, to save yourself from serious discomfort, but not to the end. If the milk is removed completely, the body will take it as a signal to its further elaboration. Some moms stress and sore breasts prefer to give it to the kid. It helps, of course, but keep in mind that in this case you voluntarily choose to "roll-back" and the process will begin anew.
You can start taking diuretics. It is better if they are "soft": kidney tea or tea for weight loss. Some, particularly zealous women even begin to drink laxatives. It's hard to say how effective they are in this case, but if you have a lot of milk, in principle, can be tried. Get them to be "soft", for example, the same tea for weight loss, or all sorts of herbal remedies.
If you take away the baby, "time", your body will be put to a more stringent. In this case, you may encounter some problems (does not mean that they are complex and intractable), but the whole process of extinction of lactation will take much less time.
In this situation, the woman raises the question of what to do with milk, where to put it? We have already mentioned that if you want to continue breastfeeding after your recovery, you can just express milk. But if you're not going to go back to breastfeeding, the lactation (the milk) should be suppressed.
Here are some considerations and recommendations, in addition to those already listed:
- Try to be drinking regime, like in the first days after birth, that is, do not drink more fluids
500-700ml per day, including entrees and luscious fruit. It may seem that it is difficult, but do not worry: it's after the birth you terribly thirsty, now everything will be differently.
- Attitude to tug his chest today is very contradictory. Taking advantage of this recommendation is usually satisfied, but experts believe this procedure would be harmful, sometimes it leads to stagnation of milk (lactostasis) and inflammation of the breast (mastitis).
- Your doctor may prescribe medication that suppresses lactation — bromocriptine (Parlodel another name). It stops the production of anterior pituitary hormone prolactin (a hormone and this causes the production of milk), and mammary glands, thus losing the "clue".
The same advice can be used and "planned" weaning.
Be patient — and good luck!
When it is not necessary to wean from the breast?
It is not necessary to wean from the breast to the little one difficult for him (illness, the beginning of "sitting" with a nanny, potty training) and for the periods you (access to job relocation, changes in family composition). If you can provide
Acute maternal infection (ARI, food poisoning mild to moderate severity, manifestations of herpes, etc.) are not contraindications to breastfeeding if it is treated only with vegetable or external means. When prescribing drugs inside and in severe need of any acute illness always consult with your doctor about safe to continue feeding.
Magazine, "Mother and Baby» № 9, 2004