Hiccups — it's non-specific disturbance of respiratory function, which is the result of a series of jerky spasmodic contraction of the diaphragm and is manifested subjectively unpleasant short and intense respiratory movements. It sometimes occurs in healthy humans with no apparent cause and usually is harmless, quenched phenomenon.
Hiccups can occur under the following circumstances:
1. General cooling (especially in infants), especially in alcoholic intoxication.
2. When hyperextension of the stomach (overflow its food). According to experts, these involuntary muscle contractions may come from the esophagus. Disorders of food ingestion and stuck in the esophagus provoke spasms in the place where the esophagus enters the stomach.
3. During stimulation of the phrenic nerve. The so-called "normal" hiccups is a manifestation of a nervous tic. This happens under the influence of the phrenic nerve, which for unknown reasons transmits excitation of the diaphragm muscle. This results in uncontrollable spasms.
Hiccoughs can also be a symptom of certain diseases, for example in case of irritation of the inflammatory process at the diaphragm in the abdominal cavity. Sometimes it becomes a long and painful. Hiccups occur in certain diseases of the brain and spinal cord, and can be observed in myocardial infarction, infectious diseases and mental stimulation.
In cases of prolonged, persistent hiccups should consult your doctor, who will establish the cause and prescribe treatment. With the development of renal failure may also be observed constant or intermittent hiccups. It is the result of an abscess or tumor in the chest, diaphragm, or esophagus. In some people, there is a hiccup in connection with the causes of a psychological nature, it resembles a reaction with transient paralysis of the soldiers, fearful before the fight. In such cases, the hiccup is unconscious and reflects a desire to avoid a very unpleasant events. Some individuals suffer a hiccup in the postoperative period, which may be a reaction to pain medication.
What is the cause of this phenomenon? Despite significant achievements in medicine for many years of its existence, has not yet found a reliable treatment of these minor spasms that cause a person to wring obscene sounds like a street profligate.
Do not worry, there are several ways to solve this problem.
To get rid of the hiccups, you need to stop the spasms of the diaphragm and esophagus. You can do this either by distraction or through breathing techniques. Usually this is enough.
When you do not pass the hiccups, you take great pains to make it disappear. You are focused on your chest and consciously strain your diaphragm. But, straining, trying to suppress the next expected you hiccups, you only complicates the situation. Below, we recommend you a proper techniques.
- Swallow a small amount of something bitter or sour. After contact with anything unusual in the digestive system spasms usually go: try to suck a lemon slice.
- Try to suppress hiccups reflex way. Put your finger on the throat in such a way as if you are going to vomit. But in fact, no need to bring their activities to an extent. This way, you can stop the steady rhythm of the hiccups.
- Try to stifle hiccups water. If you drink a large glass of water in small sips at a measured pace, we can bring an end to hiccups. In this way, food debris washed from the bottom of the throat and possibly eliminates irritating to the area extending to the nerve.
- A drink the water body in an inclined position. The position of the "upside down" suggests a new approach to the treatment of hiccups. Bend your torso over the sink and start to sip a glass of water, moved away as possible from you.
- Use the sudden fright, for example, a sudden scare the victim hiccups cotton inflated bag or a loud shout. It can instantly stop spasms.
- Try the national method of thread. Residents of southern Texas Hispanics are popular among the people receiving the interrupt hiccups with red yarn or strips of matter. They tied around the child's head in the forehead at the level of the nose. Perhaps the child directs the eye to the thread and thus shifts its attention. And this is exactly what is needed to stop the hiccups.
- "Sweeten the pill". Sprinkle a bit of sugar on the dorsum of the tongue and swallow it, you can stir a spoonful of sugar in a small amount of beer and drink the mixture.
- Touch a language. Once again, when you will rack hiccups, mouth open a little wider, take the tongue, gently pull it up and hold it a few seconds. This method of treating hiccups preferred personal physician of President Kennedy.
- Betting money — It is a favorite tool of some doctors, which, as they say, has never failed in the case of ordinary hiccups. When someone starts to hiccup, take the money, put them on the table, and enclose with it a betting man, that he or she will not be able iknut the next minute. This man will not be able to truly iknut another time, not losing a bet.
As soon as you stop trying to stop hiccups, the game takes a whole other set of muscles and spasms disappear.
The survey should take place in the following cases:
- If hiccups lasts more than an hour;
- if hiccups occur several times a day or several days a week;
- if, besides the hiccups, you have pain in the chest, heartburn or swallowing disturbances.
If you have very often there is a hiccup or attacks its delayed for a long time, your doctor may prescribe a x-ray after receiving a barium mixture to detect any obstruction in the esophagus. To eliminate the hiccups, which is permanent and does not involve any mechanical obstacle in the esophagus, the doctor may prescribe certain medications, depending on whether your with associated disorders.
An interesting fact is that Charles Osborne of Anton, Iowa, United States, began hiccuping in 1922. He had led a normal life, has been married twice and had eight children, and hiccups stopped in 1990 (Guinness World Records).