According to statistics, the lack of iodine in the body have more than 1.5 billion inhabitants of the planet. And the diseases caused by deficiency of the trace element, are fairly common. They are by no means harmless. Almost 740 million people due to lack of iodine increased thyroid gland (endemic goiter), and 40 million people for the same reason — mental retardation.
In Russia, more than 35% of the population suffer from iodine deficiency, often without knowing it. Hormonal disorders arising
Against the background of even moderate deficit on average 10% decline intellectual ability of the population, which poses a serious threat to the intellectual and economic potential of the country. Studies conducted by the World Health Organization in different countries of the world have proved that the level of mental development is directly related to iodine.
The prevalence of goitre in children and adolescents in the central part of Russia
Symptoms of iodine deficiency:
- Man becomes irritable, depressed, worried about his inexplicable bouts of depression, drowsiness, lethargy.
- Headaches, memory loss, decreased intelligence.
- Lowering blood pressure and other symptoms of hypothyroidism.
- The weakening of immunity.
- Menstrual dysfunction, impotence, infertility, early menopause.
- Pathology of pregnancy and the fetus (stillbirth, miscarriage, cretinism)
- With larger goiter — Symptoms of pressure on nearby organs (asthma, dry cough, difficulty in swallowing).
In most countries of the world are commonly produce foods rich in iodine — primarily salt. In this case, the packaging of salt should be a special marking "iodized." In addition to salt, in some regions of the Russian Federation, iodine enriched bread and bakery products, soft drinks, dairy products. This is based on the daily consumption rates. Guide to action are the recommendations of the World Health Organization, the iodine content of iodized salt
According to endocrinologists, an overdose of iodine the body when consuming foods rich in them is almost impossible, because of its content in the environment (water, soil, food) is not enough. By eating seafood containing organic iodine, Overdose is also impossible, since most of it is excreted from the body.