Soviet medics ideal weight is determined according to the formula [height (in centimeters) -100]. Their Western counterparts for the same purpose have come up with several options for BMI (body mass index). The most popular of them [weight (in kilograms) / height (in meters) squared].
If the resulting figure is less than 25 — not to worry, normal weight. A BMI of 25 to 30 says about overweight: not catastrophic, but it is better go on a diet to lose
More than a simple sign of obesity: waist circumference in women more than 88 cm in men more than 102 cm
Depending on the weight of the body distinguish between obesity:
Firstraising (increase in weight compared to the ideal more than 29%); 2nddegree (excess body weight is 30-49%); 3rddegree (excess weight equal 50-99%); 4thdegree (excess weight is 100%, andmore).
The problems of obesity doctors involved two specialties — nutritionists and endocrinologists. They'll have to sort out what is the cause of excess weight: in hormones, impaired metabolism, or poor nutrition
The doctor will ask the patient about what he eats for a day, and will send an additional study that will assess the hormonal system of the body. The first is to determine the level of thyroid hormone (thyroxine, triiodothyronine), pituitary gland (thyroid stimulating hormone), the determination of glucose in the blood.
If necessary, carry out a study of all the organs and systems to determine how they are affected obesity.
Methods of treating obesity
They are divided into three main groups.
- Non-drug Methods: a rational low-calorie diet and increased physical activity.
- Medicinal Methods: The purpose of drugs that suppress appetite and reduce the absorption of nutrients in the body, as well as drugs that normalize hormones.
- Surgical treatment of obesity:
- Liposuction — removal of excess fatty tissue
from underthe skin;
- Abdominoplasty — elimination of saggy and / or a big belly;
- arounds enteroanastomozy — an operation to "turn off" from the digestion of the small intestine;
- gastric ring (Gastric Band), which are superimposed on the stomach, reducing its volume and thus speeding up the saturation time.