Apituitarism— Is disease, in which there is a decrease or complete cessation of the production of hormones by the pituitary gland.
The possible causes of hypopituitarism are many:
- brain tumor;
- vascular disease (aneurysm, arteritis, bleeding in thepituitary, massive bleeding during childbirth);
- tuberculosis, sarcoidosis, syphilis;
- borne encephalitis, meningitis;
- cranial trauma.
What's going on?
The pituitary gland produces too little hormone, which leads to a secondary hormonal deficiency of other endocrine glands (thyroid, adrenal glands, ovaries, etc.), and inhibition of hormone-dependent processes in the body: growth, sexual functions, etc.
The earliest sign of the disease — decreased sexual desire and potency in men and menstrual disorders (until the complete cessation of menstruation) in women. In addition, for hypopituitarism characterized by loss of hair under the armpits and pubic hair, pale, waxy skin color. Often there is a reduced (below 36.0), body temperature, blood pressure reduction. Worried drowsiness, fatigue, loss of interest in surroundings and themselves. Often, patients notice an intolerance of hunger, the occurrence of attacks of dizziness on an empty stomach. In children, the disease appears delayed growth and sexual development. If the disease is caused by a pituitary tumor or the surrounding areas of the brain, eyesight may be damaged.
Diagnosis and treatment
Similar problems have to turn to
- Make a blood hormones such as thyroid hormones, adrenocortical hormones, etc. Selection of the necessary analysis, the doctor.
- Run X-rays of the skull and sella to detect a pituitary tumor. Extras can be assigned:
(MRI) or computed tomography (CT) scan of the brain — a painless procedure by which a doctor may consider in detail the area of the pituitary gland and the surrounding areas of the brain; Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- angiography of the brain — evaluation of vascular brain during a CT scan, MRI or X-ray the skull. Immediately before the study is introduced into the vein of a contrast agent;
- consulting ophthalmologist;
- consulting gynecologist (for women).
If the cause of the disease — the tumor, the surgical treatment and / or radiation therapy, followed by the appointment of hormonal drugs. Proper treatment can eliminate the symptoms of the disease and to achieve proper operation of the internal organs.