Bursitis — a disease in which inflamed joint capsule (sac) accompanied by increased formation and accumulation of fluid in their cavities (liquid).
Symptoms and Diagnosis
Symptoms of bursitis:
- pain in the joints (usually the knee or elbow);
- swelling and redness around the joint;
- limitation of range of motion;
- temperature rise in the joint.
Methods of diagnosis:
- examination by a surgeon;
- radiography of the affected joint;
- Ultrasound of the joint;
- puncture of the cavity of the joint capsule, with the bacteriological examination of the recovered liquid.
Diseases with similar symptoms: arthritis, osteoarthritis deformans.
Are two forms of bursitis: acute and chronic.
Sharp bursitis develops suddenly — for 2-3 days. Typically, the patient wakes up and detects the redness, swelling and pain in the joint. This usually occurs after a heavy load on joint or after an acute infectious disease. For several days, the symptoms increase, then decrease gradually. If untreated, bursitis can become chronic stage.
Chronic bursitis develops gradually over several months. It can be as a consequence of acute bursitis, and appear on the background of other inflammatory diseases of bones and joints (arthritis, gout, hallux valgus deformity of the foot). In the area of the joint is limited soft rounded swelling of the skin on her mobile, is not changed, the function of the limb is not broken. Chronic process may be exacerbated; this increases the amount of fluid in the cavity of the joint capsule.
Complications of bursitis: Chronic bursitis may cicatricial adhesions within the joint and decrease the mobility of the joint.
Weather. Adverse outcomes of acute bursitis can occur when complications arthritis, osteomyelitis, fistulas, and sepsis.
Causes and Prevention
The causes of bursitis — an infection that has penetrated the joint capsule, mechanical overstrain the joint capsule at its distortion or overdrive. The risk of developing bursitis occurs when:
- damage to the joints;
- overloading the joints;
- deposition of calcium in the tendons;
- various arthritis (inflammation of the joints);
- a sharp increase in physical activity.
Prevention of bursitis:
- timely treat infectious diseases;
- loading dose in sports relative to their training;
- correction of deformities of the joints, especially joints stop.
Treatment of bursitis is engaged in orthopedic trauma surgeon. Consult your doctor at the first sign to zabolevaniya.Lechenie acute bursitis performed in the clinic. With the development of chronic bursitis may require hospitalization. During acute pain should follow four rules:
- peace — should immobilize the affected joint (you can use bandages and other clips);
- cold — from time to time to massage the affected area with ice pack (through the fabric);
- Compression — Compression with elastic bandage to reduce pain;
- Wake up — the damaged joint is advisable to keep upbeat with pillows.
The goal of treatment: infection control, prevention of complications, reducing the frequency of exacerbations. Appointed by: antimicrobial agents, anti-inflammatory and pain medications. Dosage and regimen of medication should be determined by the attending physician according to the general condition of the patient and the characteristics of the disease. In addition, bursitis apply physical therapy, shock wave therapy.
In chronic bursitis, not amenable to conservative treatment, an operation — cut bags inflamed joint, removal of adhesions and washing with antiseptic solutions.