Forbidden City, China
The palace complex in Beijing — no doubt, the most famous of the historical «forbidden sites» on the world map. And it is not the only criterion by which it can be recognized as «the most-most.» The most extensive palace complex of the world and part museum with the largest collection in the world — Forbidden City managed to retain the title, even after the civil war of the exposure was captured by soldiers of the Kuomintang government, and exported to Taiwan.
He has many names — the Forbidden City, the Purple Palace Museum in Beijing, which literally means «ancient palace» — a modern Chinese dictionaries prefer the option «a former palace of the imperial dynasty.» And even more mysteries that keep the walls, which were built during the 15 years from 1406, when Emperor Yongle of the Ming Dynasty, decided to move the capital from Nanjing to Beijing. At this point, on the future site of the Forbidden City Palace, however, already existed — built in the Mongol period, and much corrupted by large-scale fire. Zhu Di, known to his subjects as the Yongle, which means «eternal happiness» (the real names of the emperors were taboo in China, and rulers was called official motto of the Board), ordered to demolish the ruins. And thus I sent into oblivion those secrets that they keep in themselves.
«Forbidden» Palace for the subjects it can be easily explained — the emperors took care of its own security. Even for rulers invited aristocratic palace doors opened only on special occasions, but could not go beyond the imperial reception hall, bore the name of the Hall of Supreme Harmony. The veil of mystery over the rest of the lifts had no rest. On the square in front of the Forbidden City can only step policymakers in formal attire or foreigners. And the medieval palace in Beijing was surrounded by a so-called inner city — lived here only aristocrats and people of humble allowed to appear on the streets only in the daytime. Those who could not until sunset off the walls, expected severe punishment. But even the most noble Beijingers who received palaces and land in the inner city as a gift from the Emperor, were limited by a number of prohibitions. So, one of the imperial edicts withheld to build higher buildings in Beijing palace walls (10.5 meters) — so that no one had a chance to look behind the walls above. However, even such precautions do not guarantee complete security in 1542, Emperor Zhu Houtsin was almost killed in his chambers. Concubines ruler, with whom he is said to have turned very brutally attempted to strangle him with silk cord — but the murder weapon confused, someone raised the noise woke the guard, and as a result failed murderers were executed.
Incidentally, the guard was not supposed to doze off — implying that he, too, had a form of towers Monographs. According to legend, the architect of his repeated them form boxes in which ancient Chinese traders selling crickets — a device such boxes not give insects sleep. Not supposed to be random and the number of rooms in the palace. In the days of imperial China believe that their 9999 — one less than the mythical quarters heavenly deity, whose son was revered ruler of the Middle Kingdom. However, when the last emperor abdicated, it was found that the rooms still less — 8707. Many of them, incidentally, is still not allowed visitors, although from time to time the administration of the museum opens to visit the new facilities.
Perhaps the greatness of the palace at some point start to weigh themselves emperors — in any case, the last representatives of the Qing Dynasty, the Chinese occupied the throne since 1612, chose to live outside the city, in the beautiful Summer Palace, or Yuanmingyuan is now ruined. A Forbidden City used only for ceremonial reception hosted all there in the Hall of Supreme Harmony, Chzhunhedyan. Here in 1912, the ceremony was held and the last Qing — abdication young emperor Aisin Gёro Pully. However, expelled from the Forbidden City, it was only in 1924, after reaching 18 years: he was deprived of all jewels and made an ordinary citizen. Now he could come here only as a museum visitor.
Angkor Wat, Cambodia
This is the temple that emblazoned on the red-and-blue flag of Cambodia — but without it he would have been the most recognizable Angkor temple. Not only because of the impressive size — separated from the world 190-meter moat, it is much less exposed to predatory raids macaques and other inhabitants of the jungle.
Angkor Wat was a kind of a forbidden city, his Khmer temple is not considered a place of collective prayer, housing the deity itself. To get to the central chambers could only aristocrats and priests of Vishnu. The temple complex of the world protected the moat and massive stone walls, which are located behind the whole city. But inhabited Angkor Wat was short-lived — the first half of the XII century to the XV century. And we created a temple and did very quickly — a maximum of four decades. Construction technology grandiose construction of the impressive sandstone blocks, closely fitted to each other without any solution — some units are connected to the spike, some on the «dovetail», and some did hold its own weight — remains unsolved. At the construction site used block mechanisms and elephants, but how Khmers moved stones, unknown — how and why they were doing them in a round hole. It is believed that with the help of well-known at that time for the construction of such technologies would require a bulk of more than one hundred years old — but Rouge coped with the task faster. Construction began during the reign of King Suryavarman II and unifier stopped immediately after his death — that, in particular, indicates that the work on some decorating temple reliefs on the theme of Hindu mythology and the history of the Khmer was not finished.
Once the sanctuary of the goddess Amaterasu — the one that is considered ancestor of Japanese emperors — roamed the country with their residence. But in the IV century rulers have found a new home for the goddess — in the town of Ise, where it remains today. However, to see the ancient architecture here is impossible. The goddess needs to build itself a new sanctuary (as well as the sanctuary of his cook, the goddess of food Toёuke) every 20 years. In addition, the entrance to the main temple is closed to all but the Emperor and Empress and clerics of the highest rank. The rest of the pilgrims had to be satisfied only look on his roof for four fences and visit pavilions around temples. Previously, it was even stricter. Before Emperor Hirohito after the country’s surrender in World War II issued a declaration in which they renounce the divine origin, the Grand Ise sanctuary was forbidden ground. Stepping on it to someone from the outside world was strictly taboo, but those who lived in Ise, Amaterasu ministers of religion, it was forbidden to cross the border, marked Miyagawa River. It was believed that if they leave the holy land, the entire country was plunged into darkness.
Cenote — or rather, dzonoty in the Mayan language — the forbidden place of the ancient inhabitants of Yucatan, created by nature itself. This grandiose karst wells, which were formed when the vaults of some of the local karst caves (and they dug up the expanse of the Yucatan in the manner of holey cheese) have failed, and they tomivshayasya water coming from underground springs, began to play in the sun all shades of blue. Ikil — the largest of the Yucatan cenotes and the most impressive, and the lake it — perfectly round shape. Not surprisingly, the Maya proclaimed him a sacred place where mere mortals entry ordered. According to their ideas, here comes the wind, and here is the portal to the underworld — where in the case, you can send someone not too willingly. All this, however, did not prevent the use of the Mayan cenote as a source of drinking water.
Since the Maya themselves swallowed the abyss of history, to protect the forbidden status of the blue abyss was no one — and modern Mexicans and does Ikil turned into a popular tourist attraction and a slot for extreme divers. The last is where to turn — the height of the walls of the well to the surface of the water 25 meters, and under them — even 50 meters of depth. Hardly Ikil someone else opens any secrets — but the peninsula still about six thousand cenotes.
Ghost towns — the most common «forbidden places» of our time. In some of them are closed due to the effects of the disaster, which forced people to leave their (as happened in the Ukrainian Pripyat). Others — such as Kolmanskop in Namibia Abandoned after exhausted the available diamond reserves are simply located too far from the tourist trail. But there are those in which most people will not allow superstitious feeling of fear — the same as that experienced before the ancient taboo temples and palaces. One of them was an abandoned town Sanchzhi around Taipei.
Similar to the base of an abandoned alien flying saucers, abandoned unheralded star pilots rust on the bright green grass, Sanchzhi was built in the 1980s as a resort for the very wealthy public. Multicolored houses in a futuristic style, with intricately curved staircase and circular room, overlooking the sea, the tourists have not waited. This construction may have had the greatest number of accidents. Collapsing cranes, eager tether workers died one after the other, and survivors told each other, as if in this place during the Japanese occupation was a «death camp», which killed a lot of Chinese, and since then over Sanchzhi hanging curse.
At the initiators of construction began financial problems, but to find investors to improve things, they failed: the superstitious Taiwanese were not going to invest in the construction of the resort. Moreover, for almost three decades, the inhabitants of the island did not dare to dismantle the already built — according to local beliefs, to destroy the house, took a fancy ghosts, our own peril. Therefore, for the time being incorporeal occupant of the spa town of the dead should not have to worry about your property. However, in the end, they still had to find a new home — a few years ago a futuristic ghost in northern Taiwan still dismantled.
Le Lavandou FRANCE
The small commune in the Var region of Provence — Alpes — Cote d’Azur — is also a seaside resort among the forbidden. It seems nothing here suggests the frightening thought — green water of the Mediterranean Sea, a nice salty breeze, neat houses surrounded by palm trees … However, there is strictly forbidden to die, that is fixed in Article 2013 Code Commune, which appeared in 1998. The apparent savagery, the article was not a strange whim of the local mayor — the municipality of Le Lavandou proclaimed «city of eternal life» because of lack of space in the cemetery (where, among other buried our compatriot Sasha Chorny, who died in 1932 from a heart attack). Get new section prevents a decision of the administrative court of Nice, ruled that the land on the French Riviera is too expensive and more useful alive. Nobody knows what exactly take the elderly residents of the town, but the demographic curve on the site testifies to the municipality: the population of the commune has been steadily increasing — in 1999 there were 5449 inhabitants, and in 2007 — already 5825.
SAN Fruttuoso, ITALY
The only thing that does not allow pilgrims and visitors beat a path to Thorn 2.5-meter statue, known as the «Christ of the Abyss» — deficiency of oxygen in the water of the bay of San Fruttuoso. The sculpture is located near Genoa, a 17-meter depth. Therefore, around the statues of the Saviour more fish than people, and of the human race there are only divers, and only those that do not differ superstitious. The rest are afraid of this place due to the fact that here in 1947, died tragically Dario Gonzatti Italian diving pioneer and inventor of the aqualung several modifications. The idea to honor the memory and the other partner by setting the underwater statue of Christ the other divers from Italy, Duilio Markant, a zealous Catholic, is said to have learned during the underwater prayer. And in 1954 a monument by sculptor Guido Galetti was already on the seabed. Underwater environment — not the best place to bronze sculptures. Over the years, Christ Galetti thoroughly overgrown with algae and corals, and in addition has lost one of his hands, which shot off badly cast anchor. As a result, almost half a century later, in 2003, it was removed from under the water, thoroughly washed and restored and then returned to its original place.